LED indicator for composite video signal

In summary: I don't remember the details of what you are trying to do, but the schematic you provided does not look like it would work.
powerlord
Sorry.. I know this is really simple..

I have 3 composite video signals, and switches to select between them.

The switches I have are SPCO, so I can't just use another pole for the switch voltage.

So, I need a way of detecting the video, and this switching on and LED.

At first I thought composite video was AC, so just made a transistor amp, decoupled the input.. but didn't work. Looking at the composite video on the scope I can see it is actually a DC voltage 0-0.5V... ah.

So.. I have a circuit where I feed the video in through a 1K resistor into the collector.

I have the LED and a 500R in series with the emitter (3904 transistor).

This 'works' in that it lights the LED when a video signal is present, but only weekly (3mA).

So, I need to increase the input voltage above 0.65 I suppose to bring it into saturation.

But how do I do that without effecting the video camera ?

I feel I need some sort of resistive voltage divider, but my attempts at building one alaways lead to the transistor being on all the time.. what am I doing wrong ?

I know I could add another transitor stage and that would do what I want, but I don't really want to do that :-(

Engineering news on Phys.org
Composite video is neither AC nor DC; it is a complicated waveform. You should be able to detect the presence of a composite video signal by looking for any voltages above the sync threshold. A simple comparator will do the trick easily.

- Warren

Actually a composite video signal has BOTH AC and DC components. It is complex, but to say that it is neither AC or DC is simply wrong.

That's quibbling a bit, Averagesupernova...

- Warren

Yes it is quibbling. But in my beginning years of electronics if someone told me that something was neither AC or DC I would have been seriously confused. It is easy to understand from a beginners viewpoint that we can have a DC offset that is changing in time. Said signal would be a signal with both AC and DC components. Can you honestly tell me that calling said signal is neither AC or DC makes it easier to understand? There is already enough confusion happening on this forum we don't need any more. I troubleshot and designed NTSC video generators for about 6 years, there is probably not a whole lot about composite video you can tell me that I don't already know. Some composite video may be AC coupled at an output jack so a comparator may or may not work in this case. DC restore circuits clamp the front and back porch at a specific DC offset (or 0) to regain the DC component in video.

1. What is a LED indicator for composite video signal?

A LED indicator for composite video signal is a small light that is typically located on the front of a monitor or TV. It is used to indicate when a composite video signal is being received by the device.

2. How does a LED indicator for composite video signal work?

The LED indicator works by detecting the presence of a composite video signal. When a signal is received, the LED will light up, signaling that the device is receiving the signal.

3. What are the benefits of using a LED indicator for composite video signal?

One of the main benefits of using a LED indicator is that it provides a quick and easy way to determine if a composite video signal is being received. This can be helpful in troubleshooting any issues with the video signal.

4. Can a LED indicator for composite video signal be used with any type of video signal?

No, a LED indicator for composite video signal is specifically designed to work with composite video signals only. It will not work with other types of video signals, such as HDMI or VGA.

5. How can I install a LED indicator for composite video signal?

The installation process will vary depending on the specific device. However, in most cases, the LED indicator will need to be connected to the composite video input on the device, and then plugged into a power source. Consult the device's manual for specific instructions on installation.