How to solve this question

• Thread starter some_one
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the implementation of a sequential circuit with two outputs - one that recognizes the numbers 1, 4, 5, and 9, and the other that recognizes 12, 13, 14, and 15. The speaker needs to build this circuit using a PROM and a shift register, but is unsure of how to proceed. They mention that using a shift register may result in slower input, and building it with flip flops is not feasible due to the large number of possibilities. They are seeking advice on what approach to take.
some_one
i need to implement a sequential circuit that has two outputs
the first recognizes 1,4,5,9
the second one recognizes 12,13,14,15
i need build this one using a PROM and a shift register

Physics news on Phys.org
what should i do...

i think that a shift register is just a slow input line
it proceeds in each Clock pulse were in normal line they data comes straight away.i was required to use it in the question

i don't have any idea of how to build this thing

when i tried to build the situation table
i came to the conclusion that building it in the normal way with flip flops
its impossible.its a 4 bit number
there are lots of possibilities
it would take me hours to write each one

i think they intended for some other solution

what should i do??

Last edited:

To solve this question, you can follow these steps:

1. Understand the problem: The problem is to implement a sequential circuit with two outputs, where the first output recognizes the numbers 1, 4, 5, and 9, and the second output recognizes the numbers 12, 13, 14, and 15.

2. Identify the components needed: As mentioned in the question, a PROM (Programmable Read-Only Memory) and a shift register will be required to build this circuit.

3. Design the circuit: To design the circuit, you will need to program the PROM with the desired output values for the given inputs. In this case, the inputs will be the binary representation of the numbers 1, 4, 5, 9, 12, 13, 14, and 15. The PROM will output a 1 or 0 for each of these inputs, depending on whether they match the desired numbers for each output.

4. Use a shift register: A shift register is a sequential circuit that can store and shift binary data. It can be used to store the output values from the PROM and shift them to the correct output based on the input number.

5. Test and troubleshoot: Once the circuit is built, it is important to test it thoroughly to ensure it is functioning correctly. If any issues are found, troubleshoot and make necessary adjustments.

6. Considerations: When designing the circuit, it is important to consider the number of inputs and outputs needed, as well as the size and capabilities of the PROM and shift register.

In summary, to solve this question, you will need to use a PROM and a shift register to design and build a sequential circuit that can recognize the given numbers and produce the desired outputs.

1. How do I approach a difficult question?

To solve a difficult question, it is important to first understand the problem and break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, try different strategies and techniques to find a solution. Don't be afraid to ask for help or consult other resources if needed.

2. What if I get stuck while solving a question?

If you get stuck while solving a question, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try approaching the question from a different angle or asking for help from a peer or mentor. Remember to stay patient and persistent.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills, practice solving different types of questions and challenges. Analyze your thought process and identify areas for improvement. Also, try to think creatively and critically when approaching a problem.

4. How do I know if my solution is correct?

To determine if your solution is correct, double-check your work and make sure it aligns with the given question and any given constraints. If available, you can also check your solution against a provided answer key or ask for feedback from someone knowledgeable in the subject.

5. What should I do if I am unable to solve a question?

If you are unable to solve a question, don't get discouraged. Take a step back and assess what you do know about the question. Are there any missing pieces of information that you could ask for? Can you approach the question in a different way? Remember to keep trying and never give up.