How do logs work with multiple bases and negative exponents?

• Thread starter DeanBH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, logs work by converting exponential expressions to logarithmic expressions and vice versa. In the given conversation, the power rule and logarithmic to exponential form were used to solve the equation 3 log10 y = -2. The solution was y = 10^-2/3. It is important to note that ln represents base e and log by itself is implied to be base 10, but it is always best to check the conventions of the source being used.
DeanBH
how do logs work when it's like this.

3 log10 y = -2

log10 y = a
10^a = y

so it's 10^-2 = y

but where does the 3 go, and why does it go there. I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
FFR (for future reference) :p ln is base e and log by itself, is implied base 10.

Power Rule: [tex]\log y^3=-2 \leftrightarrow 3\log y=-2[/tex]

Logarithmic to Exponential form: [tex]\log_a B=m \leftrightarrow a^m=B[/tex]

Last edited:
so

3logy = -2
logy^3 = -2
log10^-2 = y^3
y=10^(-2/3)

Your third line is wrong, but your final answer is correct. I'm not sure what you were doing, but you wouldn't take the log of the right side then drop the log on the left.

Last edited:
Another way to do that problem is to just divide both sides by 3 at the start:
3 log y= -2 so log y= -2/3. Now, the example you showed says that y= 10-2/3 as before.

rocomath said:
Your third line is wrong, but your final answer is correct. I'm not sure what you were doing, but you wouldn't take the log of the right side then drop the log on the left.

should be 10^-2 = y^3 without log?

rocomath said:
ln is base e and log by itself, is implied base 10.
Whilst your first point is always true, your second point is not. I know people (myself included) who sometimes write log(x) to be base e. One should always check the conventions of the book that one is using.

1. What is the value of y when solving log 3 log10 y = -2?

The value of y when solving log 3 log10 y = -2 is 0.0019953. This can be found by using the logarithm identity log a log b = log ab and solving for y.

2. Is there a specific method to solve equations with multiple logarithms?

Yes, there is a specific method to solve equations with multiple logarithms. It involves using logarithm identities and algebraic manipulation to simplify the equation and isolate the variable being solved for.

3. Can the equation log 3 log10 y = -2 be solved without using a calculator?

Yes, the equation log 3 log10 y = -2 can be solved without using a calculator. The solution can be found by using logarithm identities and algebraic manipulation to simplify the equation and isolate the variable being solved for.

4. How do you know if the solution to log 3 log10 y = -2 is correct?

The solution to log 3 log10 y = -2 can be checked by plugging it back into the original equation. If the left side of the equation equals -2, then the solution is correct.

5. Are there any restrictions on the value of y when solving log 3 log10 y = -2?

Yes, there are restrictions on the value of y when solving log 3 log10 y = -2. The value of y must be greater than 0, as the logarithm of 0 is undefined. Additionally, y must be a real number, as logarithms are only defined for positive real numbers.