Help me through a simple SR problem

• Thread starter adimare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sr
In summary, Wheeler's spacetime physics book says that in a rocket frame moving with a \beta speed to the right relative to the laboratory frame the space separation divided by the time separation of the events would be -\beta. However, I've been unable to derive this properly.
adimare
I'm reading Wheeler's spacetime physics and have been doing some newbie SR problems.
I thought up what shouldd be an extremely simple problem but am having trouble with the math, I'm sure one of you guys can probably help me out with it.

Events A and B occur with a time separation in the laboratory frame but no space separation, I thought it'd be easy to prove that in a rocket frame moving with a [tex]\beta[/tex] speed to the right relative to the laboratory frame the space separation divided by the time separation of the events would be [tex]-\beta[/tex] (that is [tex]dx'/dt'=-\beta[/tex])

[tex]dt^2-dx^2 = dt'^2-dx'^2[/tex]

Since the events occur in the same place in the laboratory frame
[tex]dt^2 = dt'^2-dx'^2[/tex]

After Lorentz transformation
[tex] ( \frac{dt' + dx'\beta} { \sqrt{1-\beta^2}} )^2 = dt'^2-dx'^2 [/tex]

However, I've been unable to derive this properly, is it just lack of math skills or did I set the equations inproperly? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your last equation does lead to your desired result. First factor out [itex]dt'^2[/itex] from both sides of the last equation, and then solve for [itex]dx'/dt'[/itex].

I must suck at this, so far I have
[tex] ( \frac{dt' + dx'\beta} { \sqrt{1-\beta^2}} )^2 = dt'^2-dx'^2 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{(dt' + dx'\beta)^2} {1-\beta^2} = dt'^2-dx'^2 [/tex]

[tex] (dt' + dx'\beta)^2 = (dt'^2-dx'^2) (1-\beta^2) [/tex]

[tex] dt'^2 + 2dt'dx'\beta + dx'^2\beta^2 = dt'^2 - dt'^2\beta^2 -dx'^2 +dx'^2\beta^2 [/tex]

[tex] 2dt'dx'\beta = -dt'^2\beta^2 -dx'^2[/tex]

[tex] dx'^2 + dt'^2\beta^2 + 2dt'dx'\beta = 0[/tex]

This does not seem to hold up when [tex]\frac{dx'}{dt'} = -\beta[/tex]

Where am I screwing up?

I posted this once already and deleted it because I incorrectly thought I had made a mistake, and the forum won't let me post a duplicate, so I had to add this pointless sentence.

adimare said:
Where am I screwing up?

Here:
adimare said:
This does not seem to hold up when [tex]\frac{dx'}{dt'} = -\beta[/tex]

[tex]dx'^2 + 2dt'dx'\beta + dt'^2\beta^2 = 0[/tex]

[tex]a = dt'\beta[/tex]

thus
[tex]dx'^2 + 2adx' + a^2 = 0[/tex]

[tex](dx' + a)^2 = 0[/tex]

[tex]dx' + a = 0[/tex]

[tex]dx' = -a[/tex]

[tex]dx' = -dt'\beta[/tex]

[tex]dx'/dt' = -\beta[/tex]

Thanks everyone, I will proceed and slap myself in the head so you won't have to

1. What is an SR problem?

An SR problem is a type of scientific problem that involves using the scientific method to solve a real-world issue or question. SR stands for "scientific research" and these types of problems often require experimentation, data collection, and analysis to find a solution or answer.

2. How do I approach a simple SR problem?

The first step in approaching a simple SR problem is to clearly define the problem or question you are trying to solve. Then, conduct thorough research to understand the background and context of the issue. Next, develop a hypothesis and design an experiment to test it. Collect and analyze data, and finally, draw conclusions based on your findings.

3. What are the key components of the scientific method?

The scientific method involves several key components, including observation, hypothesis development, experimentation, data collection, analysis, and conclusion. It is a systematic approach to problem-solving that is used by scientists to ensure reliable and accurate results.

4. How do I know if my results are valid?

To ensure the validity of your results, it is important to follow the scientific method and maintain strict controls in your experiment. This includes using a control group, minimizing bias, and repeating the experiment multiple times. It is also important to critically evaluate your data and consider any potential errors or limitations in your methods.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working on an SR problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working on an SR problem include not clearly defining the problem or question, not conducting thorough research, and not following the scientific method. It is also important to avoid bias and to carefully consider any limitations or errors in your methods and data.