Exploring the Non-Divergence of the Einstein Tensor

In summary: The Einstein tensor is not actually derived from the stress-energy-momentum tensor, but is instead proportional to it.
snoopies622
What physical meaning can be ascribed to the non-divergence of the Einstein tensor? I find it counterintuitive since I associate divergence with field sources (like the electrical field of a proton) and obviously a gravitational field has a source. Is there a parallel with Newton's formulation of gravity that might be instructive?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
snoopies622 said:
What physical meaning can be ascribed to the non-divergence of the Einstein tensor? I find it counterintuitive since I associate divergence with field sources (like the electrical field of a proton) and obviously a gravitational field has a source. Is there a parallel with Newton's formulation of gravity that might be instructive?
Since the Einstein tensor is proportional to the stress-energy-momentum tensor, T it means that energy and momentum is conserved since div T = 0. This holds true even when the cosmological constant is non-zero.

Pete

snoopies622 said:

You can also see them as constraints on the equations of motion. Intuïtively you can understand them as follows: in general relativity one wants to solve for the metric tensor, which is symmetric and thus can have 10 independent entries ( n*(n+1)/2 ). However, one is free to choose the coordinates, and this gives some freedom in your equations ( which can be seen as a gauge-freedom ). The consequences of this can be calculated to be the Bianchi-identities, which give that the Einstein tensor is divergence-free. Note that this is an identity rather than a symmetry; the description of physics doesn't depend on your coordinates.

A parallel with Newton's formulation is a little tricky; but you have to be aware of the fact that the Einstein tensor already contains second order derivatives of the metric, just like Poisson's equation is a second order differential equation of the classical gravitational field ! A sensible parallel would appear to me that due to constraints on the gravitational field the third order divergence of the classical gravitational field would be zero.

So Einstein created the stress-energy tensor first, then made [tex]G_{ab}[/tex] to match it?

1. What is the Einstein tensor?

The Einstein tensor is a mathematical object used in the theory of general relativity, which describes the gravitational interactions between objects in the universe. It is a combination of the Ricci tensor and the scalar curvature of space-time.

2. Why is it important to explore the non-divergence of the Einstein tensor?

Exploring the non-divergence of the Einstein tensor is important because it helps us understand the behavior of gravity in the universe and allows us to make accurate predictions about the motion of celestial bodies.

3. What does it mean for the Einstein tensor to be non-divergent?

A non-divergent Einstein tensor means that the gravitational field described by general relativity is conservative, meaning that energy is conserved and there are no sources or sinks of gravitational energy in space.

4. How is the non-divergence of the Einstein tensor tested?

The non-divergence of the Einstein tensor is tested through experiments and observations, such as the bending of light around massive objects and the precise measurements of the orbits of planets and stars. It is also tested through mathematical calculations and simulations.

5. What are the implications of a non-divergent Einstein tensor?

If the Einstein tensor is found to be non-divergent, it would provide further evidence for the validity of general relativity and our understanding of gravity. It would also have implications for other areas of physics, such as the study of black holes and the expansion of the universe.