Real positive mappings

• Thread starter fantispug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Positive
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the proof of a statement involving a function f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\left(0,\infty \right). The speaker suggested looking for a contradiction, but the other person proposed a simpler proof involving the function g(x) = (x-i)^2 - 4f(i)f(x). This function is continuous and can be used to find a rational number q and an irrational number i that satisfy the given inequality. This holds for any choice of f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\left(0,\infty \right), proving the statement.
fantispug

Homework Statement

Prove that for any
[tex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\left(0,\infty \right)[/tex]
there is a rational number q and an irrational number i such that
[tex]f(q)f(i) > \left( \frac{q-i}{2} \right)^2[/tex]
(Or if this is false find a counterexample)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The best idea to me seems to be to look for a contradiction, that is assume
[tex]f(q)f(i) \leq \left( \frac{q-i}{2} \right)^2[/tex]
for all rational q and irrational i and try to come up with a contradiction.

The first approach I tried was to fix a q, say q=0, then for every epsilon greater than zero there exists an irrational number i such that
[tex]f(i)\leq \epsilon[/tex]
(since every neighbourhood of a real number contains a rational number)
similarly there exists a rational number q such that
[tex]f(q)\leq \epsilon[/tex]
So both these conditions are fine on their own, so I need to think of some way to combine them.

Define a sequence of irrational numbers, i_0(n) by
[tex] f(i_0(n)) \leq 1/n[/tex]
Then define interlaced sequences of rational and irrational numbers:
[tex]f(q_k(n)) \leq f(i_{k-1}(n))[/tex]
[tex]f(i_k(n)) \leq f(q_k(n))[/tex]
But I haven't found anything useful to do with these sequences - they could be quite trivial, e.g.f(q_k(n))=f(i_k(n)) for all k,n and q_k(n)=q_l(n) for all n, l and k similarly for the irrationals.

So I'm stuck, I've got to think of some way to impose both conditions (the one on the rationals and the one of the irrationals) simultaneously (no single sequence will do the trick), but I can't think of a way to do it.

The only other way I can think of trying to approach it is with some abstract formalism (e.g. topology), but since f isn't even continuous topology won't do. Maybe an argument based on cardinality could be feasible, but I can't think of one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I appreciate your attempt at finding a solution to this problem. I agree that looking for a contradiction is a good approach. However, I believe there is a simpler way to prove this statement.

Consider the function g(x) = (x-i)^2 - 4f(i)f(x). This is a continuous function on the real line, and since f(i) is always positive, we know that g(i) < 0. This means that there exists some interval around i where g(x) < 0, since g is continuous.

Now, since g(q) is a continuous function on the rationals, and the rationals are dense in the reals, we know that there exists a rational number q in this interval where g(q) < 0. This means that (q-i)^2 < 4f(i)f(q).

Thus, we have found a rational number q and an irrational number i such that f(q)f(i) > \left( \frac{q-i}{2} \right)^2. This holds for any choice of f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\left(0,\infty \right), so the statement is proven.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or if you need further clarification.

1. What is a "real positive mapping"?

A real positive mapping is a mathematical concept that describes a function or transformation that maps real numbers to other real numbers while preserving the positive nature of the numbers.

2. How is a real positive mapping different from a regular mapping?

A regular mapping can transform any type of number, including negative numbers, while a real positive mapping only transforms positive numbers. This makes it useful for certain types of mathematical problems and equations.

3. What are some real world applications of real positive mappings?

Real positive mappings have various applications in fields such as economics, biology, and physics. For example, they can be used to model population growth or describe the behavior of chemical reactions.

4. How are real positive mappings used in mathematical proofs?

Real positive mappings are often used as a tool in mathematical proofs to show that a certain property or relationship holds true for positive numbers. They can also be used to simplify complex equations and expressions.

5. Can a real positive mapping be composed with other types of mappings?

Yes, a real positive mapping can be composed with other types of mappings, such as linear or logarithmic mappings. This can result in a new mapping that preserves the positive nature of the numbers while also incorporating the properties of the other mapping.