Charge balance in the universe?

Ta are discussing the assumed balance of charge in the universe, with Ta suggesting that it fluctuates over time but ultimately balances out to neutral. Chris disagrees and mentions the current theory that the universe is neutral overall with some local fluctuations. He also brings up the concept of charge conservation and the possibility of fluctuations in certain regions. The initial net charge of the universe is unknown. In summary, Ta and Chris discuss the balance of charge in the universe, with Ta suggesting fluctuations over time and Chris mentioning the current theory of overall neutrality with some local fluctuations and the concept of charge conservation. The initial net charge of the universe is unknown.
chis
Hello, what is the assumed balance between neg, pos and nuetral charge in the whole universe? Does it balance out to nuetral?

Ta
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it fluctuates over time, But in its start state and end state it is neutral. Just a guess though don't quote me on it. :)

Current theory is that it is neutral overall, although there may be local fluctuations.

mathman said:
Current theory is that it is neutral overall, although there may be local fluctuations.

I think I remember reading what mathman said. I'm not sure why it's that way, though.

Lexus Dominus said:
I think it fluctuates over time, But in its start state and end state it is neutral. Just a guess though don't quote me on it. :)

I think the opposite. Since charge conservation is observed in all (correct me if I'm wrong) experiments to date, including those of particle accelerators, the total charge of the universe must remain constant. There is a possibility for fluctuations to occur in some regions due to flow of charge into or out of said regions.

As for the initial net charge of the universe, I don't know...

Thanks

Chris

1. What is charge balance in the universe?

Charge balance refers to the overall balance of electric charges in the universe. This means that the total amount of positive and negative charges must be equal, resulting in a neutral overall charge.

2. How is charge balance maintained in the universe?

Charge balance is maintained through various processes such as particle interactions, nuclear reactions, and electromagnetic forces. These processes ensure that the total charge in the universe remains balanced, even as particles and energy are constantly moving and interacting.

3. Why is charge balance important in the universe?

Charge balance is important because it allows for stable and predictable interactions between particles and matter in the universe. Without charge balance, electrical forces would be unbalanced and could potentially disrupt the structure and functioning of the universe.

4. Is charge balance the same throughout the entire universe?

No, charge balance may vary in different areas of the universe. For example, in areas with high concentrations of matter, charge balance may be slightly skewed due to the presence of more charged particles. However, on a larger scale, the overall charge balance of the universe remains neutral.

5. How do scientists study charge balance in the universe?

Scientists study charge balance in the universe by observing and analyzing the behavior of particles and energy in various environments. This can be done through experiments, simulations, and observations using advanced technologies such as telescopes and particle accelerators.