Friction in an inclined right-angle trough

In summary, the acceleration of the crate is g(sin \theta - \mu_k cos \theta), which differs from the book's answer in that the book's answer has a factor of √2 sitting in front of the cosine.
Zorodius
The following problem is from my physics textbook:

A crate slides down an inclined right-angled trough. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the trough is [itex]\mu_k[/itex]. What is the acceleration of the crate in terms of [itex]\mu_k[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex], and g?

The problem was accompanied by a drawing which I have tried to reproduce and included as an attachment.

The answer I come up with when I try this is [itex]g(sin \theta - \mu_k cos \theta)[/itex], which differs from the book's answer in that the book's answer has a factor of √2 sitting in front of the cosine.

I think I understand how to do problems involving friction and inclined planes in general, but I do not understand why it matters that the crate is in a right-angle trough, or in a trough at all for that matter. I recognize that a factor of √2 would result from an isosceles right triangle, or from a 45-degree angle, which you could certainly form out of the many right angles present in the problem, but I don't see how any of them would affect the final answer. I have tried to calculate the force the crate exerts on each side of the trough, and then take the vector sum of those two forces to find the net normal force acting upon the crate. When I did this, I found the result to be equal in magnitude to the gravitational force acting orthogonal to the trough - in other words, right back where I started. Perhaps I made a mistake here?

How can I correctly solve this problem?

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,104
Physics news on Phys.org
Zorodius said:
The following problem is from my physics textbook:

A crate slides down an inclined right-angled trough. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the trough is [itex]\mu_k[/itex]. What is the acceleration of the crate in terms of [itex]\mu_k[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex], and g?

The problem was accompanied by a drawing which I have tried to reproduce and included as an attachment.

The answer I come up with when I try this is [itex]g(sin \theta - \mu_k cos \theta)[/itex], which differs from the book's answer in that the book's answer has a factor of √2 sitting in front of the cosine.

I think I understand how to do problems involving friction and inclined planes in general, but I do not understand why it matters that the crate is in a right-angle trough, or in a trough at all for that matter. I recognize that a factor of √2 would result from an isosceles right triangle, or from a 45-degree angle, which you could certainly form out of the many right angles present in the problem, but I don't see how any of them would affect the final answer. I have tried to calculate the force the crate exerts on each side of the trough, and then take the vector sum of those two forces to find the net normal force acting upon the crate. When I did this, I found the result to be equal in magnitude to the gravitational force acting orthogonal to the trough - in other words, right back where I started. Perhaps I made a mistake here?

How can I correctly solve this problem?
Okay, you know that the net normal force will simply be perpendicular to the "plane" (imagine the trough was a plane), because the left and right components of the normal forces from the right and left parts of the trought, respectively, will cancel out. If you look a the trough from the side, you can pretty much treat it like a plane (for now), so you have a normal force, and a gravitational force (worry about the friction later). Resolve the gravitational force into perpendicular to the plane and parallel to the plane components. The perpendicular component has magnitude [itex]mg \cos \theta[/itex]; so must the net force. This tells you that each individual normal force (the two of them) have a perpendicular-to-the-plane component of [itex](mg \cos \theta )/2[/itex], and some left or right component. Because of the shape of the trought, being a right angled trough at a 45 degree angle to the ground, you know that the normal forces created by both troughs must be at a 45 degree angle to the ground (because they are at an angle perpendicular to the individual left and right surfaces of the trough). So the normal force from an individual half of the trough is:

[tex]\frac{(mg \cos \theta )/2}{\sin 45 ^{\circ}} = \frac{mg \cos \theta}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

The force of friction is of course the sum of the frictions caused by each plank, which is in turn:

[tex]2 \times \mu _k \times \frac{mg \cos \theta}{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{2} mg \cos \theta[/tex]

There's your frictional force. The force down the trough due to gravity is obviously [itex]mg \sin \theta[/itex]. Since acceleration is net force divided by mass, you get acceleartion to be:

[tex]g(\sin \theta - \sqrt{2} \mu _k \cos \theta )[/tex]

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Applepie2 and (deleted member)
Thanks a lot, AKG!

AKG said:
Okay, you know that the net normal force will simply be perpendicular to the "plane" (imagine the trough was a plane), because the left and right components of the normal forces from the right and left parts of the trought, respectively, will cancel out. If you look a the trough from the side, you can pretty much treat it like a plane (for now), so you have a normal force, and a gravitational force (worry about the friction later). Resolve the gravitational force into perpendicular to the plane and parallel to the plane components. The perpendicular component has magnitude [itex]mg \cos \theta[/itex]; so must the net force. This tells you that each individual normal force (the two of them) have a perpendicular-to-the-plane component of [itex](mg \cos \theta )/2[/itex], and some left or right component. Because of the shape of the trought, being a right angled trough at a 45 degree angle to the ground, you know that the normal forces created by both troughs must be at a 45 degree angle to the ground (because they are at an angle perpendicular to the individual left and right surfaces of the trough). So the normal force from an individual half of the trough is:

[tex]\frac{(mg \cos \theta )/2}{\sin 45 ^{\circ}} = \frac{mg \cos \theta}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

The force of friction is of course the sum of the frictions caused by each plank, which is in turn:

[tex]2 \times \mu _k \times \frac{mg \cos \theta}{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{2} mg \cos \theta[/tex]

There's your frictional force. The force down the trough due to gravity is obviously [itex]mg \sin \theta[/itex]. Since acceleration is net force divided by mass, you get acceleartion to be:

[tex]g(\sin \theta - \sqrt{2} \mu _k \cos \theta )[/tex]

I do not understand this problem, and since this is my first 3D problem, I can't figure out how to draw a FBD either, so I can't figure out how many forces acting on the crate. It'd be nice if someone could help me out. Thanks

Likes Applepie2

I can provide some insights on how to correctly solve this problem. First, let's review the concept of friction. Friction is a force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact. It is dependent on the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces are in contact. In this problem, the crate is sliding down an inclined plane, and the force of friction is acting against the direction of motion. This force can be calculated using the equation F_friction = \mu_k * N, where \mu_k is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force.

Now, let's focus on the right-angle trough. The trough creates a unique situation where the normal force acting on the crate is not equal to the gravitational force. This is because the trough is angled, and the normal force is acting perpendicular to the surface of the trough. In a right-angle trough, the normal force can be calculated as N = mg * cos \theta, where m is the mass of the crate, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and \theta is the angle of the trough.

To find the acceleration of the crate, we need to use Newton's second law, F = ma. In this case, the forces acting on the crate are gravity (mg) and friction (\mu_k * N). Since the crate is sliding down the trough, the acceleration is in the same direction as gravity. We can now set up the equation as follows:

mg - \mu_k * N = ma

Substituting the value of N, we get:

mg - \mu_k * mg * cos \theta = ma

Factoring out mg, we get:

mg(1 - \mu_k * cos \theta) = ma

Finally, dividing both sides by m, we get the acceleration as:

a = g(1 - \mu_k * cos \theta)

This is the correct equation for the acceleration of the crate in terms of \mu_k, \theta, and g. The factor of √2 in the book's answer may have come from a different approach or simplification of the problem. It is important to note that the angle of the trough does not affect the final answer, as long as it is a right-angle trough.

In conclusion, the key to correctly solving this problem is understanding the normal force in a right-angle trough and using Newton's second law to set up the appropriate equation.

1. What is friction in an inclined right-angle trough?

Friction in an inclined right-angle trough is a force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides down an inclined plane. It is caused by the interaction between the surface of the object and the surface of the inclined plane.

2. How does the angle of the trough affect friction?

The angle of the trough affects friction by changing the normal force acting on the object. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in less friction. However, if the angle becomes too steep, the object may lose contact with the surface and there will be no friction.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction in an inclined right-angle trough?

The amount of friction in an inclined right-angle trough is affected by the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of the trough, the weight of the object, and the angle of the trough.

4. How is the force of friction calculated in an inclined right-angle trough?

The force of friction in an inclined right-angle trough can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force acting on the object.

5. How can friction be reduced in an inclined right-angle trough?

Friction in an inclined right-angle trough can be reduced by using a smoother surface or by increasing the angle of the trough, which decreases the normal force and thus decreases the amount of friction. Additionally, using lubricants can also reduce friction in the trough.