Double integrals over a region

• Thread starter mathrocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the problem is to find the volume of a solid bounded by a cylinder and three planes. The volume can be found by setting up a double integral in cylindrical coordinates and solving for the appropriate limits of integration. Alternatively, it can also be solved using a triple integral, by integrating the volume element.
mathrocks
I'm kinda lost on this problem

"Find the volume of the give solid:
Bounded by the cylinder y^2+z^2=4 and the planes x=2y, x=0, z=0 in the first octant."

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing that helps is to draw a picture. Then, you'll see that it's helpful here to work in cylindrical coordinates. Are you stuck on the limits of integration or where?

Volume of region

In this case it doesn't seem like you need to use double integrals. you have y^2+z^2 = 4 and y = x/2 for one of the planes. If you draw the xy plane you will just have the line y=x/2. If you visualize any cross section of the cylinder made by placing a plane perpindicular to the xy and perpindicular to the xz plane, that the height of the cylinder at that point (the value of z) will be constant along the plane. So what I would do is, Integrate along the y-axis by breaking down the cylinder into shells.

so you get V = Integral(2*y*sqrt(4-y^2)dy, 0, 2). Which is solved by a simple substitution.

theFuture said:
First thing that helps is to draw a picture. Then, you'll see that it's helpful here to work in cylindrical coordinates. Are you stuck on the limits of integration or where?

That's the thing, I don't really understand how to do it with cylindrical coordinates.

doriang101 said:
In this case it doesn't seem like you need to use double integrals. you have y^2+z^2 = 4 and y = x/2 for one of the planes. If you draw the xy plane you will just have the line y=x/2. If you visualize any cross section of the cylinder made by placing a plane perpindicular to the xy and perpindicular to the xz plane, that the height of the cylinder at that point (the value of z) will be constant along the plane. So what I would do is, Integrate along the y-axis by breaking down the cylinder into shells.

so you get V = Integral(2*y*sqrt(4-y^2)dy, 0, 2). Which is solved by a simple substitution.

I think my teacher wants me to use double integrals...

ok, well first you should set it up so V=int(function) dxdydz. Then we'll change the function into cylindrical coordinates. To do this, remember x=rcostheta and y=rsintheta and z=z. You also need the Jacobian here.

theFuture said:
ok, well first you should set it up so V=int(function) dxdydz. Then we'll change the function into cylindrical coordinates. To do this, remember x=rcostheta and y=rsintheta and z=z. You also need the Jacobian here.

Why is there a dz in there, shouldn't it only be a double integral, since it's in that particular section?

Note that we have:
[tex]0\leq{x}\leq{2y}[/tex]
Also, we have: [tex]0\leq{z}\leq\sqrt{4-y^{2}}[/tex]
While [tex]0\leq{y}\leq{2}[/tex]
Hence, we have the double integral V:
[tex]V=\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{4-y^{2}}}2ydzdy[/tex]

Last edited:
Always recall that when finding volumes, these double integrals are simply "simplified" triple integrals.

The definition of volume is just the triple integral of a volume element dV.

Therefore

[tex]V=\int\int\int_E dV[/tex]

when the first integral is carried out, you are left with the integrand that arildno pointed out above this post.

Last edited:
A dumbed down version of the definition I should point out is:

Volume is the triple integral of 1.

1. What is a double integral over a region?

A double integral over a region is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape by integrating a function over a two-dimensional region. It involves finding the area under a surface over a given region in the xy-plane.

2. How is a double integral over a region different from a regular integral?

The main difference between a double integral over a region and a regular integral is that a regular integral calculates the area under a curve on a one-dimensional interval, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface over a two-dimensional region.

3. What is the importance of double integrals over a region?

Double integrals over a region have many applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate the volume of a solid, the mass of an object, the center of mass, and the average value of a function over a certain region.

4. How do you solve a double integral over a region?

To solve a double integral over a region, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both the x and y variables. Then, you integrate the function with respect to x and y, using the given limits. This will give you a numerical value, which represents the volume under the surface over the given region.

5. What are some common methods for evaluating double integrals over a region?

Some common methods for evaluating double integrals over a region include using iterated integrals, Fubini's theorem, and changing the order of integration. Other techniques, such as using polar coordinates or applying the double integral to solve a physical problem, may also be used.