What classes are you taking for Fall 2009?

In summary: Might be worth looking into.In summary, this person's 2009 schedule includes taking eight classes, including one physics and one astrophysics class. They recommend buying a book about astrophysics to self-study. They also advise students to be diligent in their English classes.
3rd Year
BIOL - Biology of the Fungi
BCEM - Metabolism and Basic Nucleic Acid
CMMB - Molecular Genetics
MATH - Linear Methods I
PHYS - Classical Physics I

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a freshman at a CC, don't laugh.

Math 187-Precalculus by Stewart
Spanish 101-Vistas (Spanish Book) by some spanish speaking person prolly
Philosophy 123-Philosophy of Science (awesome class) by Philipp Frank (yes it's spelled right)
History 274-Introduction to the Holocaust by Bauer
Writing 101-the Practice of Writing by Scholes

questions:
1) Why is it always the stupid people who are the talkative ones in these classes, it's like they have no frontal lobe and have diarrhea of the mouth 24/7.

2) Why do community colleges make class schedules badly? My Precalculus class is from 8:10-10:25 tuesdays and thursdays , that's almost 5 hours together. My brain is rotted out by the time we're done.

3) Why do I have to take a language class?

I think I can answer 1). People think the persons who talk the most during a class (asking questions, not with their friends) are the more intelligent students, regardless of whether the questions are dumb or w/e. There was actually a study done on this so I'm not making this up, but I can't find it.

Languages are tricky to master and require the use of other skills and thought processes to master them. That's one reason I can think of.

To answer number 2, my calculus I and II classes (at a 4-year institution) were from 6:30 - 9:30 Tuesdays and Thursdays, so the potential exists for more long classes.

wow, that sucks! I'd need a candy bar or something in the middle of class just to get through it!

qspeechc said:
I think I can answer 1). People think the persons who talk the most during a class (asking questions, not with their friends) are the more intelligent students, regardless of whether the questions are dumb or w/e. There was actually a study done on this so I'm not making this up, but I can't find it.

I agree with this, there's always people asking questions, but most of the time they are incredibly easy questions to figure out on your own. I remember my first day of public school my english teacher told us to write "There was too much work for us to do." or something like that so she could teach us about sentence structure. Some kid in the front row pipes up "Is that spelled T-O-O or T-W-O?" I was like "are you serious?" Ever since I automatically assume everyone is stupid, unless they have some kind of credentials that would suggest otherwise...example: high GPA, high test scores, great college, PhD, etc.

ObHassell said:

questions:
1) Why is it always the stupid people who are the talkative ones in these classes, it's like they have no frontal lobe and have diarrhea of the mouth 24/7.

2) Why do community colleges make class schedules badly? My Precalculus class is from 8:10-10:25 tuesdays and thursdays , that's almost 5 hours together. My brain is rotted out by the time we're done.

Answers:
(1) If they're being disruptive, tell the lecturer. He or she should kick them out. If they're just asking too many rather obvious questions, again the instructor should address that. You can also change the direction of the class by asking more intelligent questions.

(2) I don't understand the problem with your schedule or why it's bad. Likely the college doesn't understand it either. It's not high school. You chose the program. You signed up for the class. They offer it as per availability of the room and instructor.

(3) Again, isn't that your choice? There are lots of programs around that don't have any language requirements.

At the end of my freshman year, I realized that I hate biology, and converted to Physics :biggrin: But that put me two semesters behind, so calculus I at a CC over summer, and now I'm finally ENJOYING school!

Schedule:
BIOL- Introductory Biology lab - book written by professor
HIST- The U.S. to 1877 - book written by professor
POLS- U.S. Government: Congress, President, and Court
MATH- Calculus II - book is an online sort of text (hey, it's free!)
PHYS- University Physics I - book by Walker, I believe is the name (?)
PHYS- Physics Lab - book by professor

Questions:
1) (rhetorical question in format of a joke) Is time travel possible? I'd love to get past this University Physics and move onto the fun stuff! e.g. Intro to Astrophysics, Intro to Particle Physics, Steller and Galactic Astronomy! The good, interesting stuff that makes you say "WOW!"

ObHassell said:

Math 187-Precalculus by Stewart
Spanish 101-Vistas (Spanish Book) by some spanish speaking person prolly
Philosophy 123-Philosophy of Science (awesome class) by Philipp Frank (yes it's spelled right)
History 274-Introduction to the Holocaust by Bauer
Writing 101-the Practice of Writing by Scholes

questions:

When you add up the time, that's 4.5 hours. Most (at least in all cases I've ever heard of) math classes are four (4) credit hours, rather than three (3). This is due to an integrated "lab," which is considered one (1) credit hour.

Choppy said:
(2) I don't understand the problem with your schedule or why it's bad. Likely the college doesn't understand it either. It's not high school. You chose the program. You signed up for the class. They offer it as per availability of the room and instructor.

(3) Again, isn't that your choice? There are lots of programs around that don't have any language requirements.

Well the thing is that I got the full Pell Grant, which will only fully cover schools in Arizona since that's where I live. And to address your response of "well you're not supposed to worry about how much the college costs", my parents aren't as supportive of college as yours must be, so I wouldn't be able to get their help on the loans (since stafford loans aren't going to cover all expenses at the good colleges). All the programs in Arizona require language classes. And it actually ISN'T my fault that I have to be in badly scheduled classes because my college liaison from my high school didn't turn in my schedule when I had the well scheduled classes (math three times per week, 1h30min each). And for the record all I said was that the scheduling is bad because almost 2h15min of math taught at 8 in the morning isn't very smart, math is like a language where you have to get a lesson in it 3-5 times per week or else you won't learn it as well as you could.

and one more thing, when you're on a forum, it's pointless to try and dig into people for what they say. How would you know I wasn't a middle-aged man trying to hold down a job while raising a family, don't EVER assume unless you actually know what you're talking about.

ObHassell said:
And for the record all I said was that the scheduling is bad because almost 2h15min of math taught at 8 in the morning isn't very smart, math is like a language where you have to get a lesson in it 3-5 times per week or else you won't learn it as well as you could.
Hehe, what do you think math majors do? I have math classes almost every day from 9 to 5. I think you just have to get used to college.

Most math majors don't take math classes "from 9 to 5 every day". That's nonsense. It's also absurd to claim that someone needs to "get used to" a terrible schedule, as though they should have no other choice, and this is what college is supposed to be like. Of course you would ideally look to change it to a better schedule. And I agree that a 2 hour and 15 minute math class is really pushing the limit.

Last edited:
mordechai9 said:
Most math majors don't take math classes "from 9 to 5 every day". That's nonsense.
Well, I have 32 hours a week of math classes, and I'm only taking one extra course (5 instead of 4). Like I said, "from 9 to 5 almost every day".
By the way, I didn't say "most math majors take math classes from 9 to 5 every day". With "what do you think math majors do" I responded to his "the scheduling is bad because almost 2h15min of math taught at 8 in the morning isn't very smart". The second sentence was a reference to my schedule, as indicated by the word "I".
It's also absurd to claim that someone needs to "get used to" a terrible schedule, as though they should have no other choice, and this is what college is supposed to be like.
Again, you are twisting my words. I didn't claim he has to get used to a terrible schedule. I said I think he has to get used to (a normal) college (schedule). And I have no reason yet to believe his schedule is in any way more terrible than a 'normal' college schedule.
And I agree that a 2 hour and 15 minute math class is really pushing the limit.
I have never even heard of a class at university (in my country) of less than two hours. I just don't understand how this is 'pushing the limits'. Is it that hard to stay focused for 2:15 hr?

My Advanced Calculus class that I took over the summer to get ahead was three hours, 6-9 PM, twice days a week. My ODE class (also summer) was 1-4PM once a week. I had 3hrs of Linear Algebra II last term once a week, and this year I'll have Complex Variables as well as Concepts in Abstract Mathematics (essentially foundations of math) each in three-hour stints once per week.

IMO, three hour classes once a week as opposed to three 1hr sessions can, for some people, be a better option. I personally find it easier to get the bigger picture when one portion of a course is completely developed in one sitting, instead of piecemeal over 5 days. Others find differently, and I understand that - I'm no champion at concentrating. Luckily in my university many classes have multiple schedules that one can choose from.

My point is that what is easy for one person may be legitimately difficult for another, simply due to innate tendencies. My advice, if you're faced with a class that you find too long, is to try to pay attention through all of it, and when you find your concentration slipping, take very very detailed notes, and read over them first chance you get out of class. And remember, often textbooks are way better than professors at teaching, in which case the value of sitting through a class becomes negative (a waste of time).

It's very, very unusual in the U.S. to be in class for more than 20 hours a week. Most students probably average about 15 hours of class per week. "Full time" status usually comes from taking 12 hours of classes per week. I can't speak about your program but obviously there must be some significant differences between countries.

This person above was writing a response to defend his position from someone who responded rather negatively and with a lack of understanding. When someone else posts yet another negative response in the same vein, this repetitive, demeaning behavior deserves to be answered more harshly. Maybe this explains why I "twisted your words".

mordechai9 said:
It's very, very unusual in the U.S. to be in class for more than 20 hours a week. Most students probably average about 15 hours of class per week. "Full time" status usually comes from taking 12 hours of classes per week. I can't speak about your program but obviously there must be some significant differences between countries.

This person above was writing a response to defend his position from someone who responded rather negatively and with a lack of understanding. When someone else posts yet another negative response in the same vein, this repetitive, demeaning behavior deserves to be answered more harshly. Maybe this explains why I "twisted your words".

Thank you very much! Finally someone understands that this forum isn't a public grill fest! This particular forum was meant for people to post their fall schedule and talk about it, not everyone look for the people who haven't done as well as them and put them down.

To the guy with the 32 hour schedule: Are you in Russia or something? No one does that much work in the states! That's why we're so successful! We multitask! I will concede to you, that I don't have the attention span to be in school from 9 to 5 studying only one rigorous subject. I can do the 2h15min, but I feel that it's very straining for me and I wanted to express it, so PLEASE be reasonable and stop arguing over it! It's pointless!

Now will someone PLEASE post their fall schedule

Aerodynamics
Differential equations
Materials science
Aircraft performance

+- 25 hrs

And then some forced project that takes up about 20 hours a week as well, yet offers little to no extra concrete knowledge. Just thinking about it makes me angry. :(

Wow, I didn't know people can get offended so quickly. I didn't mean to, anyway. Let's leave it at that.

PS: In spite of my nickname, I am not from Russia but from Holland. I guess I have to get used to physicsforums being dominated by Americans.

ObHassell said:
No one does that much work in the states! That's why we're so successful! We multitask!

What does this mean? What are you multitasking with? If you mean that you study subjects other than your major alongside, then the reason this isn't done outside the US, is that such subjects are taught to the equivalent level to general education classes in high school.

I will concede to you, that I don't have the attention span to be in school from 9 to 5 studying only one rigorous subject. I can do the 2h15min, but I feel that it's very straining for me and I wanted to express it, so PLEASE be reasonable and stop arguing over it! It's pointless!

That post above by Landau was reasonable-- he was posting his opinion to a complaint about a 2 hour morning class. I have to say that I agree!

Still, perhaps this can serve a lesson to all that there are people here who are from different places, even outside the US, who will have different opinions. Just because they are used to a different educational system does not make then less able to express their opinion, or make it immediately invalid.

ObHassell said:
Well the thing is that I got the full Pell Grant, which will only fully cover schools in Arizona since that's where I live. And to address your response of "well you're not supposed to worry about how much the college costs", my parents aren't as supportive of college as yours must be, so I wouldn't be able to get their help on the loans (since stafford loans aren't going to cover all expenses at the good colleges). All the programs in Arizona require language classes. And it actually ISN'T my fault that I have to be in badly scheduled classes because my college liaison from my high school didn't turn in my schedule when I had the well scheduled classes (math three times per week, 1h30min each). And for the record all I said was that the scheduling is bad because almost 2h15min of math taught at 8 in the morning isn't very smart, math is like a language where you have to get a lesson in it 3-5 times per week or else you won't learn it as well as you could.

and one more thing, when you're on a forum, it's pointless to try and dig into people for what they say. How would you know I wasn't a middle-aged man trying to hold down a job while raising a family, don't EVER assume unless you actually know what you're talking about.

Well I apologise if my post came across as condescending. You asked questions. I gave out reasonable answers - or so I thought. Perhaps this particular post isn't aimed at me? I don't recall saying anything about not worrying about college costs. Cost is often a huge factor in influencing education decisions and people who don't take it seriously can end up in a lot of unnecessary trouble.

I would add that when you post an opinion in a public forum, people are going to disagree with you - not because they are attacking you personally, but because they disagree with the idea you've presented.

You argue that 2 hours and change of math at 08:00 in the morning isn't very smart. Maybe not for you, but my point was that perhaps that was the only option available for running the course. Every year administrators go through the nightmare of booking time, and correlating professors' schedules in order to offer the all the courses they are responsible for. Some classes fill up past capacity, but the school still has an obligation to enroll everyone within a certain major who registered. Some professors don't know their schedules until the last minute. Some classes require access to certain technology such as video conferencing equiment, overhead projectors etc. that are not available in all classrooms. My point is that there's another side of the coin and this likely isn't a case of administrators conspiring against you.

I can't help but wonder if your initial comments were just a way of venting some steam. That's fair enough. Everyone gets stuck with a less than optimal schedule from time to time and you are allowed to state that in such cases it is in fact, "stupid."

Fall 2009:
Abstract Algebra
Introduction to Fiction: Writing Intensive
Introduction to Scientific Writing: Writing Intensive
History of Computing
Astrophysics
Research

all classes are 3 credits except research which is only 2 this time. so 17 hrs per week.

Fall 2009 (freshman):
- English 101 (I'm horrible at english, this class will probably bring down my GPA)
- Microeconomics (It's only been a week, but seems like an interesting class)
- Intro to Programming
- Calculus I - I can barely understand my professor's accent, I'm going to have to rely on the book :(
- Intro to Engineering (I've heard it's a pretty easy class)

Fall 2009 (Senior year of high school)

1. AP Physics B
2. CAD 1
3. Weight Training
4. Honors Pre Calc
5. Missing Class :D (I will have to get this fixed though...)
6. AP Chemistry
7. Engineering Concepts and Design 2

Engineering Mechanics
Calculus 3
Physics 2
MacroEconomics..dont know why i need that
Science, Society and you (anthropology)...slack class

89ta said:
Fall 2009 (Senior year of high school)

1. AP Physics B
2. CAD 1
3. Weight Training
4. Honors Pre Calc
5. Missing Class :D (I will have to get this fixed though...)
6. AP Chemistry
7. Engineering Concepts and Design 2
Wow, that's almost exactly the same as my senior year schedule.

I'm currently a high school junior

AP Calc BC (my school doesn't credit college courses taken)
AP Physics C: Mechanics
religion class
AP English Langauge and Comp.
Spanish III Honors
AP US History
Academic Decathlon

I'm going to try out Stanford's EPGY (online learning), I'm probably going to take their Real Analysis (Ross) and Intermediate E&M (Griffiths) course, see if it's any good.

I didn't know we could do high school schedules!

Junior:

AP Calc BC
AP Statistics
Symphonic Band
French IV
AP Lang & Comp
AP Biology

I'm beginning a self-study of AP Chem as well as planning an intro real analysis study.

lubuntu said:
Classes
Linear Algebra- Using professors own text(with will certainly be supplemented with MIT video lectures.
Discrete Math- Using Rosen's Discrete Math and Applications
Calc III- Using Stewart
Physics 2 E&M Using Wolfson's University Physics
Dumb English Course

Questions
1.Is this too many courses to succeed in? I'm hoping to sweep the board with A/A- and perhaps 1 or 2 B+'s at the worst?

Depends on the professors. But I would say, on average, that to get all As, you're going to have little free time.

sciboinkhobbes said:
I like this idea!

Classes:
  • Quantum Mechanics - Griffiths, which I think I'll try and supplement with Mendl
  • E & M II - Intro to Electrodynamics, Griffiths again
  • Partial Differential Equations - Applied PDE, Haberman
  • Astrophysics (emphasis on stars) - Intro to Modern Astrophysics, Carroll and Ostile (the BOB - big orange book)
  • Intro to aikido...!

My questions:

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone just getting starting to scratch the surface of QM? Texts, materials, videos, anything that would help me immerse myself a bit? Same with E&M II?

Griffiths is all you need. Read the book with pencil and paper in hand. Take notes and derive the equations he presents to see how he came up with them.

2. Anyone else taking astrophysics?

Took it in the spring.

cristo said:
My tip: Don't be so blase about your English class. The ability to write well is an incredibly important skill that many science students completely overlook.

Agreed. Look at it as a way to express yourself; be creative, original, and have fun with it.

DukeofDuke said:
Questions
1) Am I going to die?

Absolutely.

Tickitata said:
Questions
1) I was wondering: how beneficial do you think learning from multiple textbooks is? In particular, would it be worth it to purchase or borrow Artin's textbook to supplement Dummit & Foote?

I don't know anything about the particular textbooks you've listed, but a general answer is that it can be beneficial to learn from multiple textbooks. Some textbooks may go into more detail in a certain area. On the other hand, some textbooks are really good and will be all you need.

2) As a math major who wants to go to grad school, what is your opinion on double majoring in philosophy purely out of interest? I find philosophy courses to be quite enlightening and a welcome change of pace, regardless of applicability.

It can't hurt unless your philosophy studies take away time from your math studies which result in a negative impact on your grade. But if that's not an issue, keep studying philosophy.

Classes
RUSS1001 - Elementary Russian I
PHYS8101 - Quantum Mechanics I
PHYS8201 - Advanced Electromagnetic Theory I

First year at university. The course is Electrical and Mechanical Engineering.

These are compulsory:

Engineering mechanics 1
Engineering industry and profession
Electronic and electrical techniques 1
Electronic & electrical principles 1
Mechanical engineering principles
Mathematics 1e
Mathematics 2e

Those math classes are something similar to Calc I and II.

I still have some space for electives.

Last edited:
General Physiology
Eukaryotic Cell Biology
Topics in Pathogenic Microbiology

One more semester to go in undergrad, only 6 hours left to complete:)

Junior in Physics.

Linear Algebra - Friedberg
Intro to Quantum Mechanics - Griffiths
2nd Quarter E&M - Griffiths
and maybe a weekly seminar: What students need to know about careers in engineering.