How Does Acceleration Affect the Frequency of Sound Heard by an Observer?

• Thread starter ambuj123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the frequency heard by an observer when a source emitting sound with frequency v starts moving towards the observer with uniform acceleration a. The speed of sound in the medium is s. The solution involves using the Doppler effect formula and considering the change in wavelength as the source accelerates. The conversation also references a scanned solution and suggests further reading on the topic.
ambuj123
I have this problem which is really bugging me if someone could help me i would be very grateful.
Q. A source emmiting sound of frequency v is placed at a large distance from an observer source starts moving towards observer with uniform acceleration a find frequency heard by observer corresponding to wave emmited just after the source starts. The spped in medium is s
Answer: (2sv^2/2sv-a)
thank you
Ambuj
:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
basically, the question is asking you to derive the doppler effect formula (there are a couple versions, and i haven't seen this one before). Start by looking at the wavelength and determine what would happen if the source starts moving towards the observer. Can you find out how to account for the changes? Remember that the speed of sound is constant, so see what that change in wavelength does to the frequency. Try it out, if you get stuck than post where. But you've given very little info as to what you actually did. Let us know where you are having problems so we know how to help.

Thanx

Was able to solve the problem
but if yould see the solution and advice would be nice.
Here is attached solution scanned to jpg compressed in zip

:surprise:

Attachments

• scan0002.zip
    11.1 KB · Views: 185
It little bit hazy over scanned jpg Anyway u can check it

Let source is at S1 initially and emits wavefront W1
Since Source is accelerating let the other position be S2. Where it emits W2

now
[tex] \Delta (W_1W_2) = \lambda ' = v_s t - \frac{at^2}{2} [/tex]
f(apparent) = [tex]\frac{ v_s}{\lambda '} [/tex]
Also,

[tex]t=\frac{1}{f_0}[/tex]

I believe that's what u have done Still u can Read more thoroughly about Doppler Effect from Resnik And Halliday(Nicely Given)

What are soundwaves?

Soundwaves are vibrations that travel through a medium, such as air, and can be perceived as sound by the human ear.

How do soundwaves travel?

Soundwaves travel in a longitudinal motion, meaning that the particles of the medium vibrate in the same direction as the wave travels.

What factors affect the speed of soundwaves?

The speed of soundwaves is affected by the properties of the medium, such as density and temperature, and also by the frequency of the sound.

Can soundwaves be measured?

Yes, soundwaves can be measured using a device called a sound level meter, which measures the intensity of the sound in decibels (dB).

How do soundwaves interact with objects?

When soundwaves encounter an object, they can be reflected, absorbed, or transmitted. This interaction depends on the properties of both the object and the soundwave.