What are some recommended transceiver models for Bluetooth tracking devices?

In summary, the conversation is about designing and building two circuits that will alert two holders when they are within 1m of each other. Bluetooth technology is suggested as the best option, but the person is open to other suggestions. The devices need to work from any angle and through obstructions. The person has a budget of £30 ($50) for transceiver chips and is looking for a suitable model. They also mention the concept of near-field communication.
jeff1664
Hi,

I'm looking to design and build two circuits for devices that will alert the two holders of the devices when they come within 1m of each other (I only need 1m range for demonstrations of the devices – in practice, the range will be more like 100m).

Now I'm pretty sure Bluetooth technology is the best suited for the task but I'm very new to using Bluetooth so am open to other suggestions - I need the devices to work from any angle and also ‘through’ obstructions blocking direct vision between the devices.

If I’ve not made sense so far, picture this: you are on a train heading home but are unaware a friend of yours is also on the same train. A device to let you know your friend is nearby could be quite handy at this point (of course, your friend would need to be carrying a similar device!)

I’m able to spend approx £30 ($50) on a pair of transceiver chips.

Can anyone suggest a transceiver model that would suite my needs?

I hope I’ve given enough information
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a Bluetooth tracking device?

A Bluetooth tracking device is a small electronic device that uses Bluetooth technology to connect with and track other devices within a certain range. It can be used to find lost or misplaced items, or to keep track of the location of important objects.

2. How does a Bluetooth tracking device work?

A Bluetooth tracking device works by emitting a signal that can be picked up by other devices with Bluetooth capabilities. The device can then be tracked using a smartphone or other device that is connected to the same network. The tracking range is typically within 30-50 meters.

3. What are the main uses of Bluetooth tracking devices?

The main uses of Bluetooth tracking devices include finding lost or misplaced objects, keeping track of valuable items such as keys or wallets, and monitoring the location of children or pets. They can also be used for asset tracking in businesses and for tracking fitness activities.

4. Are Bluetooth tracking devices secure?

Bluetooth tracking devices are generally considered to be secure, as they use encrypted signals to communicate with other devices. However, like any technology, they can be vulnerable to hacking or interference. It is important to use reputable and secure tracking devices.

5. Can Bluetooth tracking devices be used to track people without their knowledge?

No, Bluetooth tracking devices cannot be used to track people without their knowledge or consent. These devices require an active connection with a smartphone or other device, and the user must give permission for the tracking to occur. Using a tracking device without someone's knowledge is illegal and unethical.