Understanding Water Pressure Zones: A Curious Chick's Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of water pressure and its effects on diving in different zones. The participants question which zone is safe to swim in and how the pressure differs in each zone. They also explore the idea of becoming accustomed to pressure and its potential effects. Ultimately, it is concluded that the pressure is equal in all areas at the same depth and that the zones should be differentiated vertically rather than horizontally.
Chitose
Hello, Chitose the curious chick again.

This is not my home work, but something I keep wondering since I watch movie 'The Abyss'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abyss"

first the picture. (I draw it with photoshop, hope you guys don't get confuse)
Untitled-1copy.jpg

And the question.

I wonder which zone that I can swim safely without being crush by water pressure?

I know that 'zone A' is safe, but why? as long as I have air around and above my head, no matter how deep I am water presure can't harm me?

I know that 'zone D' is DEAD zone, so out of the question.

what about 'zone B' and 'zone C'?
'zone B' have Steel panel surrounding it, 'zone C' have entire structure cover above it.

I'm not sure if water pressure is squeeze object form up to down cause of water weight or from all direction?

Does zone A, B and C have much different in water pressure? If I'm in 'safe zone' and point my finger through 'Dead zone', what going to happen? can I feel light pressure to heavy pressure in just a few centimeter?

P.S. English is not my native language, so please forgive me If I'm wrong in gramma or spelling.

P.S.2 I can't use Technical word by myself, but I can understand when you guys useing it, don't worry

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
Unless there's an airlock system in place, the pressure is equal in all areas. All zones are therefore equally safe. If there is an airlock, and the air pressure is lower than the external water pressure, you would have to undergo extensive decompression to re-enter the habitat. Having air around your head has nothing to do with it, other than allowing you to breathe without respirator gear.

I see what Danger is saying. The pressure inside the underwater lab is high enough to keep the water from flooding, therefore your body is already accustomed to the pressure. So swim all you want, just as long as you don't swim immediately from the underwater lab's pool straight to the surface. I think the safe rise rate is somewhere between 60 - 30 feet per minute, and the deeper you are, the faster you can rise from the deepest parts. Meaning the closer you get to the surface, the slower you should go from a deep dive.

So umm... If my body is accustomed to the pressure of dept level , I'll become like fish? can swim through even in zone D than?

Chitose said:
So umm... If my body is accustomed to the pressure of dept level , I'll become like fish? can swim through even in zone D than?

What he meant is that all areas are equally UN-safe, the pressure would kill you pretty bad.

James Leighe said:
What he meant is that all areas are equally UN-safe, the pressure would kill you pretty bad.

Just like it killed Comex divers at over 500 meters back in eigthies... Wait. They survived, so something is wrong.

Borek said:
Just like it killed Comex divers at over 500 meters back in eigthies... Wait. They survived, so something is wrong.

Fair enough, but would a diver survive at 1000 meters? I don't even think 500 meters would be very pleasant...

"In 1992 Comex diver Theo Mavrostomos achieved a record of 701 MSW (2300 ft) in an on shore hyperbaric chamber. He took 43 days to complete the dive."

Extremely impressive, but I would like to see him go 1km. He needed a hyperbaric chamber and ~22 days of slow progress to get to 2300ft (~700 meters). Either way it's seriously pushing the limit at the least.

EDIT: It's awesome by the way that the OP drew a picture for us!

Last edited:
Very likely at higher deeps there will be effects we are not aware of yet - I think I remember reading that at 100 atm cods lost haemoglobine from the red blood cells or something like that - so there are possible problems that we have no idea of.

However, I was just pointing to the fact that high pressure doesn't have to be dangerous. I feel like OP has some misconceptions about the pressure and its effects.

Okay, back to question. I'm bit confuse here

I didn't dive straight from surface like comex diver.

I'm in that facilities, and my body are accustomed to air pressure inside.

I jump into pool in zone A, I'm sure I'm safe (assuming that I can endure to any low temparature)
and if I'm dive to zone B, C and D

what happen?

which zone that water pressure going to kill me?

water pressure canbe so different in just a few yards?

Chitose said:
I jump into pool in zone A, I'm sure I'm safe (assuming that I can endure to any low temparature)
what happen?

Well, we are not sure it would kill you...

Either way the pressure is the same everywhere in your drawing. So if your gona die in one zone, all zones are deadly. (even the one with air, since the air has to push agensed the water (with equal force) to keep it from flooding into the 'research facility')

Here is a drawing:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2478/goodtimeso.jpg
The idea here, is that the two arrows (of pressure) MUST be equal, so everywhere is super high pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think perhaps the problem here is that your zones are ill-defined. All water and or air at an equal depth is at equal pressure (within the parameters of your diagram). Your zones should be differentiated vertically rather than horizontally. As shown, the pressure in zone B will be higher than the pressure of zone D that is parallel to zone A.

edit: Hi, James. You sneaked in while I was composing. Nice example. My only disagreement with it is in reference to what I just posted. The pressure won't be exactly equal at varying depths.

Chitose said:

what happen?

Again, as long as you don't go up or down by more than a few yards, the pressures in all of those zones are very close to equal, so you will notice no difference in swiming from one to another.

Borek said:
Very likely at higher deeps there will be effects we are not aware of yet - I think I remember reading that at 100 atm cods lost haemoglobine from the red blood cells or something like that - so there are possible problems that we have no idea of.

However, I was just pointing to the fact that high pressure doesn't have to be dangerous. I feel like OP has some misconceptions about the pressure and its effects.
Certainly at 1000m you can no longer breather air (the oxygen at that pressure will kill you), but there is probably a mixture of gases that would be breathable.

russ_watters said:
Certainly at 1000m you can no longer breather air (the oxygen at that pressure will kill you), but there is probably a mixture of gases that would be breathable.

Yep, probably something similar to trimix. Or something not similar :wink:

Oh I get it, If there are an open hole direct connect to water, air inside that room must equal with water to prevent from flooding.

So, the movie is pure fantasy than? or 1,000m is just too deep?

If we increase air pressure bit by bit for body that can accustomed to pressure, how high human body can take?

Structurally, the human body can withstand an extremely high pressure - as long as it is equalized, it doesn't really have much effect. The problem is being able to breathe without getting the wrong combination of gases into your bloodstream. If I remember from the movie correctly, they took something like two weeks to decompress when coming to the surface to avoid the bends. No one has yet tried something like that.

So... Key to servive in situation in my picture is not exactly air pressure, but how to breathe.

than last quest.
If we can some how adjust air compound inside, can it slove that ploblem?

One lesson to be learned here, as demonstrated by Borek's avatar, is don't let the glowing seaweed get on your head.

Danger said:
One lesson to be learned here, as demonstrated by Borek's avatar, is don't let the glowing seaweed get on your head.

:) no comment in that one.

Anyway, Thank you for all reply.
One of my curious has been fulfill.

1. What is a water pressure zone?

A water pressure zone is an area within a water distribution system that is defined by a specific range of water pressure. This pressure zone is typically determined by the height of the water source and the elevation of the area it serves.

2. Why is understanding water pressure zones important?

Understanding water pressure zones is important for several reasons. It helps to ensure that water is delivered at a safe and consistent pressure to homes and businesses. It also allows for better management and maintenance of the water distribution system to prevent leaks and other issues.

3. How are water pressure zones determined?

Water pressure zones are determined by the design of the water distribution system, which takes into account factors such as the topography of the area, the location of the water source, and the expected demand for water in different parts of the system.

4. What are the different types of water pressure zones?

There are typically three types of water pressure zones: high, medium, and low. High pressure zones are typically found in urban areas, while medium and low pressure zones are more common in suburban and rural areas.

5. How does water pressure affect the flow of water?

Water pressure directly affects the flow of water. Higher pressure allows for faster and stronger flow, while lower pressure can result in slower and weaker flow. Understanding water pressure zones helps to ensure that water is delivered at the appropriate pressure for the specific area it serves.