Exploring the Physics of Normal Forces

In summary: So when atoms get close together, their electron clouds start repelling and this creates a force that we feel as "touch."In summary, normal forces are contact forces that are fundamentally electromagnetic in nature. They occur when atoms come into contact with each other, causing their electron clouds to repel each other and create a force that we feel as "touch." Other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism, become relevant when describing these forces on an atomic level.
Alboin
Hi,

I am wondering why normal forces 'are'?

I mean, I know what they 'do', but why does a surface create a force when a force is put against it? Obviously, it follows Newton's law of equal and opposite reactions, but can anyone explain what happens, if even on an atomic level, to create said force? What's going on under the hood?

Is this part of a more specific area of physics?

Thanks!
Alboin

Physics news on Phys.org
What I can tell you is that contact forces like friction, normal force, etc are fundamentally electromagnetic in nature. Atoms can't occupy the same space because they consist of charged particles that interact when they get close to each other. The concept of "touching" becomes meaningless on these scales. I'm sure others can provide further details.

EDIT: The answer to your question of whether another area of physics becomes relevant when describing things on these scales is, "yes."

Last edited:
My teahcer explained it kind of-probably-very unscientifically, but it seemed to help the class:
He started with his water bottle. What he said was that the millions of billions of trillions of atoms in the bottle are always pushing against each other in the molecules which always push each other. That's why the bottle doesn't move and fall apart. It's solid, and it stays how it is because all the atoms and molecules are equal and they push with the same force.
Now, if you put the bottle on a table, the bottle's atoms and molecules are not only pushing against themselves, but also against what surface area they come in contact with: the table. And while the bottle's force is pushing on the table, the table's force has to push back the same amount to keep it from moving. That's the basic principal of normal force.

Sorry if that didn't help; it's much easier to explain it in person. -crissa

Simple answer: atoms all have an electron cloud. Electron clouds repel each other.

1. What is the definition of normal force?

The normal force is the force that an object experiences when it is in contact with a surface and perpendicular to that surface. It is a reaction force that is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force that the object exerts on the surface.

2. How is normal force different from other contact forces?

Unlike friction or tension, the normal force is always perpendicular to the surface of contact and does not depend on the surface area of contact. Additionally, the normal force is a reactive force, meaning it only exists when there is an applied force on the object.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of normal force?

The magnitude of normal force depends on the weight of the object, the angle at which it is placed on the surface, and any other applied forces acting on the object. The surface material and roughness can also affect the normal force.

4. How is normal force related to Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of normal force, the object exerts a force on the surface, and the surface exerts an equal and opposite force on the object.

5. Can normal force ever be greater than the weight of an object?

No, the normal force can never exceed the weight of an object. This is because the normal force is a reaction force to the weight of the object and cannot be greater than the applied force.