Yield Stress/Endurance Limit

In summary, the conversation is about finding the yield stress and endurance limit of ASTM A513 steel. The discussion covers the various alloys covered by the spec and suggests looking at other resources such as MMPDS or MIL-HDBK-5J for specific alloy information.
JD88
Does anyone know or know of a good resource where I can find the yield stress and endurance limit of ASTM A513 steel?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ASME Section II

I am sorry, how is this supposed to help. I google ASME section II and found nothing useful. Am I missing something? If anyone knows the values or can give a good resource I would really appreciate it.

ASTM A513 is a spec for tubing using carbon or alloy steel. Can you be a bit more specific with what you need?

I am sorry if I am not specific enough, I unfortunately don't know much about this kind of thing. Anyways, all I really know is that we have 1" OD steel tubing with 1/8" wall thickness and I was told that it is ASTM A513-07.

Hopefully this helps.

Whoever told you that you can find material properties from that spec is mistaken. The spec covers multiple alloys and governs the geometric manufacturing properties of tubes more specifically "Standard Specification for Electric-Resistance-Welded Carbon and Alloy Steel Mechanical Tubing."

There is a table in the back of the spec that covers approximately 15 alloys having varying properties. You need to find out the exact alloy used to make the tube you have. I have attached a snippet of the total table that gives the varying alloy requirements. Hopefully since it is only a single page there won't be any issues with copyright stuff.

Attachments

• astma513-08a.jpg
    astma513-08a.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 639
I might try looking in the MMPDS or MIL-HDBK-5J to see if the specific alloy you're looking for is in there. Both publications are a strong resource for a limited number of steel, alumuinum, magnesium, and titanium alloys.

1. What is yield stress/endurance limit?

Yield stress/endurance limit is a material property that describes the maximum stress a material can withstand without undergoing permanent deformation. It is also known as the maximum safe stress or the yield strength of a material.

2. How is yield stress/endurance limit determined?

Yield stress/endurance limit is determined through various mechanical tests, such as tension, compression, and torsion tests. These tests subject the material to different types of loads and measure the stress at which it begins to deform permanently.

3. What factors affect the yield stress/endurance limit of a material?

The yield stress/endurance limit of a material is affected by its chemical composition, microstructure, temperature, and loading conditions. Harder and stronger materials tend to have a higher yield stress/endurance limit, while softer materials have a lower limit.

4. How does yield stress/endurance limit differ from ultimate tensile strength?

Yield stress/endurance limit and ultimate tensile strength are both measures of a material's strength, but they represent different points on the stress-strain curve. Yield stress/endurance limit is the stress at which a material begins to deform permanently, while ultimate tensile strength is the maximum stress a material can withstand before breaking.

5. Why is yield stress/endurance limit important in engineering?

Yield stress/endurance limit is an important consideration in engineering because it helps determine the maximum safe stress a material can withstand without failing. This information is crucial in designing structures and components that can withstand the expected load and stress conditions.