How to Calculate Orifice Size for Fluid Flow Dispensing?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the size of an orifice to pass a specific volume of a viscous fluid in a given amount of time. The variables of pressure and viscosity are important and the application is for designing a valve for dispensing accurate amounts of a specific liquid with varying viscosities. The conversation also mentions the use of a flow calculator and the ability to attach tags to a post.
Fred Evans
hello all,

i need to calculate the size of an orifice that will pass a certain volume of a viscous fluid

per time of say 10 seconds

pressure and viscosity are the variable values.

the application is in the design of a valve for dispensing accurate amounts of
a liquid of a given viscosity. (the liquid is polyurethane prepolymer which is a sticky
fluid of which the viscosity is always known but varies from batch to batch)

the viscosity changes with temperature

Can anyone please suggest a formula ?

Best regards

fred evans

( this is my first post-- and I see i can attach 5 tags-- what is a tag?

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is an orifice?

An orifice is an opening or hole through which a fluid can flow. It is typically a circular or rectangular shape and is used to control the rate of flow of a fluid.

2. How does fluid flow through an orifice?

Fluid flows through an orifice due to the pressure difference between the upstream and downstream sides. The fluid accelerates as it passes through the orifice, and the velocity and flow rate can be controlled by changing the size of the orifice.

3. What factors affect the flow rate through an orifice?

The flow rate through an orifice is affected by the size of the orifice, the pressure difference across the orifice, and the properties of the fluid, such as viscosity and density.

4. What is the Bernoulli's equation and how is it related to fluid flow through an orifice?

The Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in a steady flow. It is often used to analyze the fluid flow through an orifice, as it predicts the changes in pressure and velocity as the fluid passes through the orifice.

5. What are some real-life applications of fluid flow through an orifice?

Fluid flow through an orifice is commonly used in various industrial and engineering applications, such as in hydraulic systems, gas and oil pipelines, and control valves. It is also used in everyday objects, such as faucets, showerheads, and sprinkler systems.