Make Your Own LCD Cleaner - Tips & Advice

• Thread starter Dav333
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home Lcd
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to clean an LCD screen. One option is using a small bottle of LCD cleaner, which is effective but expensive. The other options involve using distilled water mixed with either white vinegar or rubbing alcohol. However, there are concerns about using rubbing alcohol due to its lubricants. Another person mentions using Windex, which contains water, alcohol, ammonia, and detergent. It is suggested to use a dry and clean microfiber cloth as the final step to avoid streaking.
Dav333
I brought a small bottle of LCD cleaner & its amazing, leaves no streaks or anything behind. But i go through it like water & its a bit pricey.

I generally read the 2 main ways are:

Distilled water mixed with white Vinegar.

&

Distilled water mixed with 70% Rubbing alcohol, some say 50% But i read rubbing alcohol has lubricants in it that will smudge the screen. So i prob should look for pure isopropyl alcohol.

Any suggestions? Do you think the second method is ok? I'm pretty fussy with my LCD's.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Haha, I just use water ;)

Blenton said:
Haha, I just use water ;)

Windex also works really well. (It's basically water + alcohol + ammonia.)

Windex has a little detergent in it. It will streak but is shouldn't be that noticeable for an LCD screen if the final step of cleaning involves a dry and clean microfiber cloth.

1. How do I make my own LCD cleaner?

Making your own LCD cleaner is easy and cost-effective. All you need is a spray bottle, distilled water, isopropyl alcohol, and a microfiber cloth. Mix 50% distilled water and 50% isopropyl alcohol in the spray bottle and shake well. Spray the mixture onto the microfiber cloth and gently wipe your LCD screen. Avoid spraying directly onto the screen.

2. Is it safe to use homemade LCD cleaner?

Yes, homemade LCD cleaner is safe to use as long as you follow the proper measurements and instructions. Isopropyl alcohol is a common ingredient in commercial LCD cleaners and is safe for electronic screens. However, avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as they can damage your screen.

3. Can I use regular tap water for my DIY LCD cleaner?

No, it is not recommended to use regular tap water for your LCD cleaner. Tap water may contain minerals and impurities that can leave streaks or damage your screen. It is best to use distilled water, which can be found at most grocery stores.

4. How often should I clean my LCD screen?

It is recommended to clean your LCD screen at least once a week to remove dust, fingerprints, and other debris. If you use your screen frequently, you may need to clean it more often to maintain its clarity and performance. Always use a soft, lint-free cloth to avoid scratching the screen.

5. Can I use my DIY LCD cleaner on other electronic screens?

Yes, you can use your homemade LCD cleaner on other electronic screens such as smartphones, laptops, and tablets. However, make sure to check the manufacturer's instructions before using any cleaner on your device. Avoid using the cleaner on screens with anti-glare coatings, as it can damage the coating.