Adjusting Vertical Spacing & \pointsdroppedatright in Exam Document Class

In summary, the person is asking for help with two issues regarding the exam document class in LaTeX. The first issue is adjusting the vertical spacing between questions, parts, and subquestions, and the person suggests using the \vspace or \addvspace commands to control the spacing. The second issue involves using the \pointsdroppedatright function to place marks at the right margin, and the person offers a suggestion to use the \hbox to 6cm{\leaders\hrule\hfil} command to create a bottom line of a specific length.
manchung214
I am currently producing an exam paper. My friend suggests me using the exam document class. It's quite convenient most the time and I almost finish my work. But there are 2 things that I am not satisfied with:

(1)the default spacing between questions, parts, subquestions

How can I adjust the vertical spacing between questions, parts, subquestions?

(2)the \pointsdroppedatright function

I use the following 3 lines of commands to place the marks at the rightmargin of the textwhen a "\droppoints" is placed.

\pointsdroppedatright
\pointpoints{mark}{marks}
\marginpointname{ \points}

But actually I want the " (7 marks) " go to the rightmost of the text text range but not outside it and in the margin.
e.g.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?
_______________________space______________________(7 marks)

How can I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I have never used the exam.cls in LaTeX, so I cannot help you there.

But I can try to give some ideas that you might not have tried yet.

For your first problem, the vertical spacing in LaTeX can be done with the \vspace or \addvspace commands. You can use a negative value in this, if you want the spacing to be less than default.

Something like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

\vspace{-10cm}

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

For your second problem, I don't know the \pointsdroppedatright, but from the example your are giving, you might want to try something like this:

\hbox to 6cm{\leaders\hrule\hfil}

which gives a bottom line of 6cm long.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

1. What is "Adjusting Vertical Spacing" in an Exam Document Class?

"Adjusting Vertical Spacing" refers to the ability to manipulate the amount of space between different elements in an exam document, such as between questions, between question parts, and between question text and answer space. This can be done using commands or options provided by the Exam Document Class in LaTeX.

2. How can I adjust the vertical spacing in my exam document?

To adjust the vertical spacing in your exam document, you can use the \vspace command followed by the desired amount of vertical space in LaTeX units, such as inches or centimeters. Additionally, the Exam Document Class provides options such as \setlength and \setlengthscale to adjust the spacing globally for the entire document.

3. What is the purpose of the \pointsdroppedatright command?

The \pointsdroppedatright command is used to indicate the number of points that should be dropped at the right margin for each question or part. This is commonly used in exams to indicate partial credit for answers that are partially correct.

4. How do I use the \pointsdroppedatright command in my exam document?

To use the \pointsdroppedatright command, you must first include the command \pointsonright in the document preamble to enable point values to be printed on the right margin. Then, you can use the \pointsdroppedatright command after each question or part to specify the number of points to be dropped at the right margin.

5. Can I customize the vertical spacing and points dropped in an exam document?

Yes, the Exam Document Class allows for customization of both the vertical spacing and points dropped in an exam document. You can adjust the spacing and points dropped globally using options in the document preamble, or you can use commands within the document to make specific adjustments for individual questions or parts.