Question for the use of Woolaston Prism in OPTICAL TWEEZER

In summary: The optical tweezers setup being discussed involves the use of a half-wave plate and a Wollaston prism. The half-wave plate is used to rotate the linear polarization of the laser beam, while the Wollaston prism is used to divide the beam into two polarizations at a large angle. This allows for different ratios of the two polarizations to be output from the prism. However, in some setups, mirrors between the laser and the experiment can affect the linear polarization, so additional prisms like Glan-Thompson or Glan-Taylor prisms may be used to ensure a good degree of linear polarization before using the half-wave plate. The Wollaston prism is not necessary for the optical tweezers effect itself, but it
Choi Si Youn
I studied optical tweezer,
So I saw the optical path in the diagram.

Then I can't understand why they use the Wollaston Prism?

After launch the laser, the beam through the half-wave plate
So the beam polarized, I know this.

and after through the half-wave plate, the beam through the Wollaston Prism.

But this time, I can't understand why they use it.

Does they have a special purpose for using the Wollaston Prism?

^^

Science news on Phys.org
The half wave plate does not polarize the light into a single direction. This is why the prisim is needed, in order to polarize the light before it enters a spatial light modulator. It can also be used to reduce the power of the laser so you don't burn out anything in the path. But from my understanding it's mainly used to polarize the light either horizontally or vertically.

In many optics book, they explain a half wave plate to the things that make laser beam
linear polarization.
is it different your explain and book?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wollaston_prism
I read the webpage that explain the Wollaston Prism.

anyway, I'm thank you for your answer,

but, I can't understand this sentence..
"The half wave plate does not polarize the light into a single direction."

I'm use the Nd:Yag laser, So light already linearly polarized.
So I think that sentence doesn't make sense for me anymore, right?

Choi Si Youn said:
In many optics book, they explain a half wave plate to the things that make laser beam
linear polarization.
is it different your explain and book?

If you already have a linearly polarized laser beam, you can rotate the linear polarization using a half wave plate, but you cannot create linearly polarized light from arbitrarily polarized light using a half wave plate.

Choi Si Youn said:
I'm use the Nd:Yag laser, So light already linearly polarized.
So I think that sentence doesn't make sense for me anymore, right?

That depends. For most real setups you will have some mirrors between your laser and your experiment. These can spoil your linear polarization pretty bad. When using my Ti:Sa laser (well, the one of my department), I always use a Glan-Thompson or Glan-Taylor prism to ensure I have a good degree of linear polarization before using half wave plates to rotate the polarization around.

Choi Si Youn said:
I studied optical tweezer,
So I saw the optical path in the diagram.

There are as many different designs for tweezers as there are constructed tweezers- can you provide a link to the diagram you saw?

http://www.stanford.edu/group/blocklab/Optical%20Tweezers%20Introduction.htm
that page's Figure 3.
I just setup for seeing the trapped particle.
So now I need more optical elements for my experiment.

I just saw that diagram, and just setup, just one part of it.

Now I studied how can I research the result,
so I concerned and study other optics...

Above answer, and my other people who answer my question help me to know and
understand the optics that align in Figure..

Last edited by a moderator:
That setup looks like a nightmare...

As best I can tell, the prisms are there for DIC imaging while trapping, and don't pertain to the trapping/monitoring beams- but it's difficult to tell becasue of the 1/2-wave plate and dichroic mirrors (which have a polarization-dependent performance).

Personally, I keep the prisms well away from the trapping beam to prevent damage.

The prisms belong to the DIC (differential interference contrast) microscope, as Andy REsnick has mentioned. I worked on a similar setup. You don't need them for the tweezers effect and I would remove them most of the time, at least during the alignment of the trapping laser.

Ok, so I've been working with a set up similar to this one this summer and I can kind of tell you how we used each thing. First off why do you need the Wollaston between the lamp and the specimen? We just used the half wave plate to control the amount of power that was entering the objective (an easy way to control it rather than using the laser itself). the prisim was used to polarize the light and to help further reduce the power.

Split Ratio..Re: Question for the use of Woolaston Prism in OPTICAL TWEEZER

Cthugha said:
If you already have a linearly polarized laser beam, you can rotate the linear polarization using a half wave plate, but you cannot create linearly polarized light from arbitrarily polarized light using a half wave plate.

That depends. For most real setups you will have some mirrors between your laser and your experiment. These can spoil your linear polarization pretty bad. When using my Ti:Sa laser (well, the one of my department), I always use a Glan-Thompson or Glan-Taylor prism to ensure I have a good degree of linear polarization before using half wave plates to rotate the polarization around.

Yes, it is correct.
Half wave plate is used to change the linear polarization direction, by rotating.
Wollaston prism is to get 2 polarizations devided with big angle.
The application in your case:
By rotating 1/2 waveplate, get different polarization angle to input wallaston prism, in order to get different ratios of 2 polarization beam, output from wollaston.

Any more questions, may email me: charles.chen@photonik.com.sg

1. What is a Woolaston prism and how does it work in an optical tweezer?

A Woolaston prism is a type of birefringent prism that has the ability to split a beam of light into two polarized beams. In an optical tweezer, the prism is used to split the incoming laser beam into two beams with different polarization states. This allows for the manipulation and trapping of microscopic objects using the force of the laser beams.

2. What are the advantages of using a Woolaston prism in an optical tweezer?

Using a Woolaston prism in an optical tweezer allows for more precise control and manipulation of microscopic objects. The two polarized beams can be adjusted independently, providing greater flexibility and accuracy in trapping and moving objects. Additionally, the use of a Woolaston prism reduces the amount of laser power needed, minimizing potential damage to the trapped objects.

3. Can a Woolaston prism be used in all types of optical tweezers?

Yes, a Woolaston prism can be used in various types of optical tweezers, including single-beam traps and dual-beam traps. However, the specific setup and configuration may differ depending on the type of optical tweezer being used.

4. How does the angle of the Woolaston prism affect the trapping strength in an optical tweezer?

The angle of the Woolaston prism plays a crucial role in the trapping strength of an optical tweezer. By adjusting the angle, the polarization of the beams can be changed, altering the forces exerted on the trapped object. A larger angle will result in stronger trapping forces, while a smaller angle will result in weaker forces.

5. Are there any potential limitations or drawbacks to using a Woolaston prism in an optical tweezer?

One limitation of using a Woolaston prism in an optical tweezer is that it is sensitive to temperature changes, which can affect the polarization and, therefore, the trapping strength. Additionally, the use of a Woolaston prism may require more complex setup and alignment compared to other types of optical tweezers, potentially increasing the overall cost and time required for experimentation.