Spin vs. Helicity: Transformation under Poincare Group

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between spin and helicity and the transformation of momentum-spin and momentum-helicity states under certain elements of the Poincare group. It is mentioned that helicity is Lorentz invariant and can be rotated using SO(3) matrices.
paweld
Can somenone check if my reasoning is correct. I would like to have deeper
insight into the difference between spin and helicity.

Let's consider two particles:
(1) Particle with mass m in momentum-spin state [tex]\psi=|{p_1}^\mu=(\sqrt{p^2+m^2},0,0,p); s=1,s_{z}=1 \rangle [/tex]
(these informations determine the state of this particle)
(2) Photon with momentum-helicity state [tex]\phi=|p_2^\mu=(p,0,0,p); h=1\rangle [/tex]

I'm interested in how above states transform under some elements of Poinacre group.
I. space rotation through angle [tex]\alpha=\pi/2 [/tex] around z axis.
(1) [tex]\psi' = \exp(i \pi/2 ) |p_1^\mu=(\sqrt{p^2+m^2},0,0,p); s=1,s_{z}=1 \rangle [/tex]
(2) [tex] \phi' = \exp(i \pi/2 )|p_2^\mu=(p,0,0,p); h=1\rangle [/tex]
II. space rotation through angle [tex]\alpha=\pi/2 [/tex] around x axis:
(1) [tex]\psi' =1/2 |p_1^\mu=(\sqrt{p^2+m^2},0,-p,0); s=1,s_{z}=1 \rangle +[/tex]
[tex]+ i/\sqrt{2}|p_1^\mu=(\sqrt{p^2+m^2},0,-p,0); s=1,s_{z}=0 \rangle +[/tex]
[tex]-1/2|p_1^\mu=(\sqrt{p^2+m^2},0,-p,0); s=1,s_{z}=-1 \rangle [/tex]
(2) [tex]\phi' = |p_2^\mu=(p,0,-p,0), h=1\rangle [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Helicity is Lorentz invariant. So you just rotate three spin and momentum components with the appropriate SO(3) matrix.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between spin and helicity?

Spin and helicity are both properties of particles, but they refer to different aspects. Spin is a measure of the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle, while helicity is a measure of the projection of the particle's spin onto its direction of motion.

2. How are spin and helicity related to the Poincare group?

The Poincare group is a mathematical framework that describes the symmetries of spacetime. Both spin and helicity are conserved quantities under the transformations of the Poincare group.

3. Can a particle have different spin and helicity values?

Yes, a particle can have different values for spin and helicity. For example, a photon has a spin of 1 but a helicity of either +1 or -1, depending on its direction of motion.

4. How do spin and helicity affect a particle's behavior?

Spin and helicity can affect a particle's behavior in different ways. For example, the spin of an electron can determine its magnetic moment, while the helicity of a neutrino can affect its interactions with other particles.

5. Can spin and helicity be changed?

Under certain conditions, spin and helicity can be changed. For example, a particle's spin can be flipped through interactions with other particles, while a particle's helicity can be changed through interactions with a magnetic field.