Projectile angle of approach and height of target?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the height and angle needed for a projectile to pass through three ring stands. The given information includes the muzzle velocity, x and y components of velocity, and distance and time for the projectile to reach each ring stand. The equations used are Y = (1/2)ayt^2 + Viyt + Delta Y for determining the height and theta = Tan^-1(Vy/Vx) for finding the angle. Some calculations are shown and a clarification is made regarding the diameter of the ring stand.
kLPantera

Homework Statement

For my lab, I need to calculate the height of the ring stands so the projectile can pass through them; as well as the angle the projectile will come at them.

I have calculated/measured the following things:

Muzzle Velocity: 4.11m/s
Vix= 4.02m/s
Viy= 0.85m/s
Delta Y: 0.87 (since the cannon we are using is being shot off the counter top, it will be -0.87 when calculating)
Delta X: 2.07 meters
t = 0.5153 seconds
ax= 0
ay= -9.8m/s

What is given:

Angle the cannon is shooting at: 12 degrees
I also calculated the time and distance it will take for the projectile to reach each of the ring stands. There are 3 ring stands and they are placed at the same intervals

Homework Equations

I don't know how to find the height I need for the ring stands (3 of them) or the angle the projectile will come at them. At least I am unsure which formula to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
To determine the height, use the equation Y=1/2 * ay * t^2 + Viy * t + Delta Y, using the time you calculated for the projectile to pass through each point. (Note, this will give you the point the projectile will pass through, so set the ring stands so that the center of the opening is at this height by adding the radius of

To find the angle, first you need to find the X and Y components of the ball's velocity, its x component should be Vix, and you can calculate its Y component with Vy= ay * t + Viy. Then all you need to do is use trig. to find the angle of the resultant vector: theta=Tan^-1(Vy/Vx)

radius of...? what?

When I use the equation Y = (1/2)ayt2+Viyt + Delta Y.

I calculated that the first ring stand is 0.5075 meters away from the counter we launch the cannon off of, and that it takes0.128825 seconds for the projectile to reach it.

So what I did was:

y = (1/2)ayt2+Viyt + Delta Y
y = (0.85)(0.128825) + (0.87)
y = 0.97

Is it possible for a cannon with a muzzle velocity of 4.11 m/s and a Viy of 0.5 and a Vix of 4.02 m/s to have the first ring stand that high?

I'm saying that you have to raise the ring stand above the height you calculated so that the projectile will go through the ring rather than hit the top of it, and to give it the best chance of getting through the ring, you want the projectile to go through the center. So you need to raise it by 1/2 its diameter.(see below)
xpog1y.png

.5 * ay * t2 + viy * t + Delta Y = Yt
.5 * -9.8m/s2 * (0.128825s)2 + .85m/s * .128825s + .87m = 0.8982 m
It looks like your math is a little bit off, but yes, it is possible.

Oh I understand now. However there is a slight problem, we are not told the radius or diameter of the ring on the ring stand. The only measurements we have is the Delta Y, and degree of cannon fire.

What is the projectile angle of approach?

The projectile angle of approach is the angle at which the projectile is launched from the horizontal. It is usually measured in degrees and can affect the distance and height the projectile will travel.

How does the angle of approach affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle of approach directly affects the trajectory of a projectile. A higher angle will result in a longer flight time and a higher peak height, while a lower angle will result in a shorter flight time and lower peak height.

What factors can influence the projectile angle of approach?

The projectile's initial velocity, the gravitational force, and air resistance are all factors that can influence the angle of approach. Other external factors such as wind speed and direction can also affect the angle of approach.

What is the height of the target in relation to the projectile's angle of approach?

The height of the target is directly related to the angle of approach. The higher the angle, the higher the target must be in order for the projectile to reach it. A lower angle will result in a lower target height.

How can the angle of approach and height of target be calculated?

The angle of approach and height of target can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The initial velocity and launch height of the projectile must also be taken into account. Computer programs and mathematical equations can also be used to calculate these values.