Product of gaussian random variable with itself

In summary, the conversation revolves around the product of a Gaussian random variable with itself and whether it results in a chi-square distribution. The question of whether the resultant variable is still Gaussian is raised and the idea of investigating the origins of chi-square distributions is suggested. The conversation ends with an appreciation for the replies and a plan to try solving the problem.
architect
Hi,

I am interested in the product of a Gaussian random variable with itself. If X is Gaussian then what is X^2? We know that the resultant variable of the product of two independent Guassian variables is still Gaussian but I am afraid that this is not true when you multiply it with itself. Is it a chi-square? Any clarifications will be appreciated.

BW,

Alex

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
architect said:
Hi,

I am interested in the product of a Gaussian random variable with itself. If X is Gaussian then what is X^2? We know that the resultant variable of the product of two independent Guassian variables is still Gaussian but I am afraid that this is not true when you multiply it with itself. Is it a chi-square? Any clarifications will be appreciated.

BW,

Alex

Partial answer to get you thinking more: If, as a specific case, [tex] X [/tex] is standard Gaussian, notice that [tex] Y = X^2 [/tex] will take on only non-negative values so certainly could not be standard Guassian. If I were you I'd investigate the origins of chi-square distributions (both central and non-central chi-square).

If p(x) is the probability density function of x, then conservation of probability tells us that

p(x) dx = q(y) dy

where y is any known function of x. Solve the equation for q(y) to get the probability density function for y.

thanks for your replies. I will give it a try!

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your question regarding the product of a Gaussian random variable with itself. This is a very interesting topic and one that has been studied extensively in the field of statistics.

Firstly, to answer your question, the product of a Gaussian random variable with itself is not necessarily a chi-square distribution. This only holds true if the two Gaussian variables are independent. In the case of multiplying a variable with itself, it is not independent and therefore the resulting distribution will not be a chi-square.

To better understand the distribution of X^2, we can look at the properties of a Gaussian random variable. A Gaussian random variable, also known as a normal distribution, is characterized by its mean and standard deviation. When we square a Gaussian variable, we are essentially multiplying the mean and standard deviation by themselves. This results in a new distribution with a higher variance and a non-zero mean.

The resulting distribution is known as a non-central chi-square distribution, which is a special case of the chi-square distribution. It is used to model the sum of squared independent Gaussian variables with non-zero means. The degree of freedom for this distribution is equal to the number of squared Gaussian variables being added together.

In summary, the product of a Gaussian random variable with itself is not a chi-square distribution, but rather a non-central chi-square distribution. It is important to note that this only holds true for Gaussian variables. If the variables are not Gaussian, the resulting distribution may be different.

I hope this helps clarify your question. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Best,

What is a product of gaussian random variable with itself?

A product of gaussian random variable with itself is a mathematical operation where a gaussian random variable is multiplied by itself. This results in a new random variable with a different distribution and characteristics.

What is a gaussian random variable?

A gaussian random variable is a type of probability distribution that is commonly used in statistics and probability theory. It is also known as a normal distribution and is characterized by a bell-shaped curve.

What is the formula for calculating the product of gaussian random variable with itself?

The formula for calculating the product of gaussian random variable with itself is: P(X*Y) = P(X) * P(Y) where X and Y are two independent gaussian random variables.

What are the properties of the product of gaussian random variable with itself?

The product of gaussian random variable with itself has several properties, including: it is also a gaussian random variable, the mean of the product is the product of the means of the individual variables, and the variance of the product is the product of the variances of the individual variables.

How is the product of gaussian random variable with itself used in science?

The product of gaussian random variable with itself is commonly used in various scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to model and analyze various natural phenomena and is a fundamental tool in statistical analysis and experimental design.