Isotopes:the difference between fractionation and selection processes

• Thread starter WaterEngineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, fractionation refers to changes in isotopic abundances during chemical reactions and physical processes, whereas selection processes involve changes in the average isotopic composition of a compartment due to factors such as gravity or kinetic effects. Examples of fractionation processes include evaporation and photosynthesis, while selection processes can include the vertical transport of isotopes in the ocean or the removal of isotopically heavier particles from a cloud. However, there is still some confusion and differing opinions on the exact definitions of these terms in the field of isotope hydrology.
WaterEngineer
Isotopes:the difference between "fractionation" and "selection processes"

I'm reading a book about Isotope Hydrology and it differentiates between "isotope fractionation" which denotes any situation where changes in isotopic abundances result, and "selection processes" which are situations such as when the average isotopic composition of a compartment changes due to the compartment not being well mixed and then partially utilised.

However, I am unclear of the difference between the two, what is fractionation exactly? Under which bracket does evaporation occur? eg. after precipitation, you could argue that some is "partially utilised" in evaporation, making it a selection process, or you could say that the mass effect reduces the vapour pressure of the heavier isotope, therefore making it a fractionation process. If anyone could clarify the definitions it would be great.

(The book is Isotope Hydrology, A study of the water cycle, Joel R. Gat.)

Earth sciences news on Phys.org

Fractination, if you have a certain ratio of fat and skinny boys in class and you call them out for getting candy, what would that do the the fat /skinny ratio of the first arriving boys at the point of distribution?

Back later, just an intro :smile:

Sorry, I thought it was going to be easy to answer this but it seems not so.

Anyway isotope fractination happens during chemical reactions and/or physical processes (diffusion, evaporation, condensation, sublimation etc). The difference in masses (fat and skinny boys) make that there are different affinities for the different states

I could not find however a clear definition of selection processes. However what comes to mind for instance is the vertical transport of 13C in the oceans. Biota are usually depleted with 13C due to the higher affinity for 12C in the photosynthesis. Dead organisms sink to the ocean bottom and decay causing a selection of less 13C in the deep oceans. Hence limestone and foraminifera shells from the deep are depleted in 13C due to that selection process by gravity.

On the other hand 'selection' could also refer to kinetic fractination rather than equilibrium fractination

But I understand the confusion.
my two cents. it may still be something else.

Last edited:

Thanks for your input, glad I'm not the only one confused :)

I see what you mean about the biota, fractionation being the process by which the biota are depleted in 13C however, the selection process being that they decay at the bottom of the ocean.

I don't think that 'selection' could refer to kinetic fractination rather than equilibrium fractination, because the book I'm reading describes the two types of fractionation.

Thanks for your help though!

WaterEngineer said:
I see what you mean about the biota, fractionation being the process by which the biota are depleted in 13C however, the selection process being that they decay at the bottom of the ocean...

Actually the decay would lead to some fractination, but I was explicitely thinking of the transport of 13C depleted remains by sinking, that is no fractination but still a process that alters the general d13C of the local environt, not fractination but transport, could that be 'selection'?

One can also think of the Rayleigh effect or Rayleigh fractination maybe where the fractinated bit is removed from the environment after the process, altering the ratio of the remaining species, evidently as a cloud rains out, the heavy isotopes go out first, leaving the cloud lighter and lighter in isotopes, not by fractination but by ..selection?

More two cents.

Andre said:
Actually the decay would lead to some fractination, but I was explicitely thinking of the evidently as a cloud rains out, the heavy isotopes go out first, leaving the cloud lighter and lighter in isotopes, not by fractination but by ..selection?

Maybe, but as the formation of a cloud involved a phase change, I would have thought it would be considered as fractionation...

Difficult, it seems the more I read, the more people seem to have a different take on what fractionation is

WaterEngineer said:
Maybe, but as the formation of a cloud involved a phase change, I would have thought it would be considered as fractionation...

Yes obviously, but during the life time of the cloud, when the heavier isotopes rain out first, the remaining watervapor gets lighter and lighter (Rayleigh effect), without going through a phase change.

1. What are isotopes?

Isotopes are atoms of the same element that have different numbers of neutrons in their nucleus. This results in a slightly different atomic mass for each isotope.

2. What is fractionation in regards to isotopes?

Fractionation is the process in which isotopes of an element are separated from one another due to their differing masses. This can occur naturally through physical or chemical processes, or it can be induced in a laboratory setting.

3. How does fractionation differ from selection processes?

Fractionation is a physical separation of isotopes based on their masses, while selection processes involve the preferential uptake or incorporation of certain isotopes by organisms or molecules due to their chemical or biological properties.

4. Can you give an example of fractionation in nature?

An example of fractionation in nature is the process of photosynthesis, where plants preferentially use carbon dioxide with a lighter isotope of carbon (carbon-12) over a heavier isotope (carbon-13). This results in a fractionation of carbon isotopes in the plant's tissues.

5. How are fractionation and selection processes used in scientific research?

Fractionation and selection processes are important tools in fields such as geology, chemistry, and biology. They can be used to study past environmental conditions, track the movement of substances in ecosystems, and determine the origin of molecules or organisms.