The Lift Question / reactive force on an object in a moving lift

• Thread starter druuuuuuuunnk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Lift
In summary, the problem involves a mass of 80 kg resting on the floor of a lift and the calculation of the reaction force exerted by the floor on the object in different scenarios. The force of gravity, 10 m/s^2, is the only force acting on the object in both cases. In case (a), when the lift is travelling at a steady speed of 2 m/s downwards, the reaction force is equal to the weight of the object, 800 N. In case (b), when the lift is decelerating at 4 m/s^2, the reaction force is 480 N, making the object appear lighter. And in case (c), when the lift is at rest, the reaction force
druuuuuuuunnk

Homework Statement

A mass of 80 kg rests on the floor of a lift. (Take g = 10ms-2). Calculate:

(a) the reaction force exerted on the object by the floor, when the lift is
travelling at a steady speed of 2 ms-1 downwards.

(b) the reactive force exerted on the object by the floor of the lift, as its
downward motion is brought to rest by a retardation of 4ms-2.

(c) the reactive force exerted on the object by the floor, when the lift is at rest.

Gravity = 10 m/s-2

Homework Equations

F=M.A

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) becuase there is a steady speed downwards, do i just use gravity as the accelleration and nothing else? so F= (80) x (10) F=800 N

/or/ is it F= (80) x (10+2) F=960 N

(b) F= (80) x (10-4) so F= 480 N

(c) F= (80) x (10) F=800

My teacher this year has been pretty useless if you could help me understand this i would be really gratful.

Physics news on Phys.org
druuuuuuuunnk said:

Homework Statement

A mass of 80 kg rests on the floor of a lift. (Take g = 10ms-2). Calculate:

(a) the reaction force exerted on the object by the floor, when the lift is
travelling at a steady speed of 2 ms-1 downwards.

(b) the reactive force exerted on the object by the floor of the lift, as its
downward motion is brought to rest by a retardation of 4ms-2.

(c) the reactive force exerted on the object by the floor, when the lift is at rest.

Gravity = 10 m/s-2

Homework Equations

F=M.A

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) becuase there is a steady speed downwards, do i just use gravity as the accelleration and nothing else? so F= (80) x (10) F=800 N

/or/ is it F= (80) x (10+2) F=960 N

The first.

One thing that is wrong with this second possibility is that you are trying to add an acceleration (10 ms^-2) to a velocity (2 ms^-1). This is never possible - in general you can't add or subtract quantities with different dimensions.

(b) F= (80) x (10-4) so F= 480 N

This says that the object appears lighter when the downward-moving lift comes to a halt. Does that tally with your everyday experience?

The way to solve this sort of problem is not to randomly plug numbers into an equation in the hope that it might be vaguely suitable. First draw a free-body diagram showing all the forces on the body you're considering. Then you can use Newton's second law, like you suggest: the sum of the forces is the mass times the acceleration - but this isn't very helpful unless you have carefully considered all the forces!

(c) F= (80) x (10) F=800

Correct - can you explain why? What is the crucial feature this case has in common with (a)?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP FIRST OF ALL...

(c) & (a) both have only gravity acting on them as there acceleration?

(b) good point about the overall weight being lighter, i should have thought about it when i saw it was 480N.

So when the lift is coming to a stop you add to the overall acceleration and when the lift is accelerating downwards you take away, but if it was accelerating/decelerating upwards you would also add? becuase either way the force is pushing on the object.

thanks also for tell me about how you can't add things of a different dimension, its simple rules like that which my teacher has neglected to teach. you've saved me a lot of time and trouble!

1. What is the Lift Question?

The Lift Question refers to the concept of reactive force on an object inside a moving lift. It explores the relationship between the direction and magnitude of the force exerted on an object by the lift and the motion of the lift.

2. How does the direction of movement affect the reactive force?

The direction of movement of the lift will determine the direction of the reactive force on an object inside. For example, if the lift is moving upwards, the reactive force on an object will be directed downwards, and vice versa.

3. How does the weight of an object affect the reactive force?

The weight of an object does not affect the reactive force on it in a moving lift. The reactive force is solely dependent on the direction and velocity of the lift, and not on the weight of the object.

4. What is the relationship between the reactive force and the acceleration of the lift?

The reactive force on an object in a moving lift is directly proportional to the acceleration of the lift. This means that as the lift accelerates, the reactive force will also increase, and vice versa.

5. How does the reactive force change when the lift is at a constant velocity?

When the lift is at a constant velocity, there is no change in the reactive force on an object inside. This is because there is no acceleration, and therefore no change in the direction or magnitude of the reactive force.