Can Quentin Hit the Bullseye? Calculate Here!

• Thread starter manjuj
  • Start date
In summary, Quentin claims he can hit a 5 cm wide bullseye from a distance of 2.0 m by throwing a dart horizontally with a speed of 15 m/s. Using the equations d=vt and h=1/2gt^2, it is calculated that the dart will fall 275.625 m below the throwing height, indicating that Quentin will not be able to hit the bullseye. However, it is pointed out that the time of flight calculated is incorrect, and a correct calculation would show that Quentin could potentially hit the bullseye.
manjuj
Quentin claims that he can throw a dart at dartboard from distance of 2.0 m & hit 5 cm wide bullseye if he throws dart horizantally with speed of 15 m/s. He starts the throw at the same height as top of bullseye. See if Quentin is able to hit bullseye by calculating how far his shot falls from the bullseye's lower edge. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a way:
Use [tex]d=vt[/tex] to find the amount of time the dart flies.
Then use [tex]h=1/2gt^2[/tex] to find what distance it has fallen.

Dart problem

Thanks Galileo for your suggestion. I should have posted that I tried that and what I get is:

using x=vt, 2=15t, t=7.5 secs

y at 7.5 secs would be (using 1/2gt^2): -4.9 X 56.25 = -275.625

275.625 m below the throwing height doesn't make sense to me or does it mean that the answer is: Quentin will not be able to hit the bullseye. Thanks

The time of flight you calculated is wrong.
It is actually much lower.
If 7.5 sec was correct, Quentin could have run faster than the dart.

Dart problem

Thank you alalbatros! I was dividing 15 by 2 instead of the other way around. It makes sense now. Thanks again.

1. Can Quentin hit the bullseye?

As a scientist, I cannot predict whether or not Quentin can hit the bullseye without conducting experiments and collecting data. However, we can calculate the probability of hitting the bullseye based on factors such as Quentin's skill level, distance from the target, and environmental conditions.

2. What factors affect Quentin's ability to hit the bullseye?

Some factors that may affect Quentin's ability to hit the bullseye include his level of skill, the distance from the target, wind speed and direction, and any distractions or obstacles in the environment.

3. How do you calculate the probability of hitting the bullseye?

The probability of hitting the bullseye can be calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account factors such as the target size, distance, and Quentin's skill level. This calculation can also be adjusted to account for external factors such as wind and distractions.

4. Is there a scientific method to improve Quentin's chances of hitting the bullseye?

Yes, there are several scientific methods that can potentially improve Quentin's chances of hitting the bullseye. These methods may include training and practice to improve his skill level, using advanced equipment such as wind gauges and stabilizers, and conducting experiments to determine the most effective techniques for hitting the bullseye.

5. Can you provide a prediction for Quentin's ability to hit the bullseye?

As a scientist, I cannot provide a prediction without conducting experiments and collecting data. However, based on the factors mentioned earlier, we can estimate the probability of Quentin hitting the bullseye and make recommendations for improving his chances of success.