Non-equal Gravitational Potential and Kinetic Energy in a closed system

In summary, the conversation revolved around a simple system involving two point masses, A and B, with a distance of 1000m between them. The gravitational force exerted by A on B was calculated to be G*10^-16 and by B on A to be G*10^-4. At t=0, both bodies had no kinetic energy and equal amounts of gravitational potential energy (G*10^-1). However, at t=1 second, they moved closer towards each other with body A at a speed of G*10^-4 and body B at a speed of G*10^-8. The conversation also addressed the calculation of gravitational potential energy and its relation to the system of both bodies. There was a
FlipC
While trying to get my head around Gravitational Potential Energy I devised the following simple system:

Point Mass A of 1kg is 1000m away from Point Mass B of 100kg within an empty universe.

The gravitational force exerted by A on B is G*10^-16; by B on A is G*10^-4. At time=0 these two unmoving bodies possesses no kinetic energy. Both posses the same amount of gravitational potential energy (mgh) with respect to each other of G*10^-1.

At t=1 second they've attracted each other and moved closer. Body A at a speed of G*10^-4 and B at a speed of G*10^-8. They therefore posses kinetic energy equal to .5mv^2. Their potential energy has also changed due to both the reduced distance and the increase in relative gravities.

However when I run the figures I end up with ~2.2*10^-29 Joules over.

Given the tiny value it may be rounding errors in my calculation programme or a flaw in my basic assumptions, but if not where has this energy come from?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FlipC said:
The gravitational force exerted by A on B is G*10^-16; by B on A is G*10^-4.
How did you calculate this? They must exert the same force on each other. (Newton's 3rd law.)

At time=0 these two unmoving bodies possesses no kinetic energy. Both posses the same amount of gravitational potential energy (mgh) with respect to each other of G*10^-1.
The gravitational PE belongs to the system of both bodies, not to each individually. (And you cannot use 'mgh' to calculate it, of course.)

At t=1 second they've attracted each other and moved closer. Body A at a speed of G*10^-4 and B at a speed of G*10^-8.
Since momentum is conserved, their speeds will always be such to give zero total momentum.

Doc Al said:
How did you calculate this? They must exert the same force on each other. (Newton's 3rd law.)

Tcch yeah just realized that, force = G*10^-4 with speeds of G*10^-4 and G*10^-6 respectively.

The gravitational PE belongs to the system of both bodies, not to each individually. (And you cannot use 'mgh' to calculate it, of course.)

PE with relation to what and how is it then calculated?

FlipC said:
PE with relation to what and how is it then calculated?
The gravitational PE of the system is given by:
[tex]U = - \frac{Gm_1m_2}{r}[/tex]

Okay having calculated that at t=0 and t=1 determine KE at both times as well. I still get a discrepancy. There's more KE than be accounted for by the change in PE by 2.2*10^-29J

FlipC said:
Okay having calculated that at t=0 and t=1 determine KE at both times as well. I still get a discrepancy. There's more KE than be accounted for by the change in PE by 2.2*10^-29J
How are you doing your calculation? How far have the bodies moved? What's the change in PE? (Is 2.2*10^-29J significant or just a trivial difference due to round off?)

After 1 second Body A will be traveling at G*10^-4 m/s and Body B at G*10^-6 m/s. Assuming linear acceleration the distance between them will have reduced by (G*10^-4+G*10^-6)/2 m.

Calculate PE and KE at t=0 and t=1. Given a closed system the difference in sum of energies at each point should be zero; except I keep getting that difference in total KE being higher than total PE.

Hmm okay writing that out again. Gravity changes with distance therefore the acceleration changes such that the bodies move faster and the distance increases more. However it still seems that the ratios between them produce a higher KE than allowed for by the change in PE.

As I said it may well be a rounding error.

What is non-equal gravitational potential and kinetic energy in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total energy remains constant. Non-equal gravitational potential and kinetic energy means that while the gravitational potential energy may decrease, the kinetic energy increases or vice versa.

What causes non-equal gravitational potential and kinetic energy?

This phenomenon is caused by the conversion of energy from one form to another. For example, when an object falls from a certain height, its potential energy decreases as it moves closer to the ground, but its kinetic energy increases as it gains speed.

How does non-equal gravitational potential and kinetic energy affect the motion of objects?

Non-equal gravitational potential and kinetic energy play a crucial role in the motion of objects. It determines the speed and direction of an object's motion, as well as its potential to do work.

Can non-equal gravitational potential and kinetic energy be observed in everyday life?

Yes, this phenomenon can be observed in many everyday situations such as a pendulum swinging, a roller coaster ride, or a ball being thrown into the air. In all of these cases, the potential and kinetic energy of the objects are constantly changing.

What is the significance of understanding non-equal gravitational potential and kinetic energy in a closed system?

Understanding this concept is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to predict the behavior and motion of objects in various scenarios and helps us design efficient and effective systems.