Help with the coefficients of a fourier series

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of \sin_\ell(x) and its properties, as well as the equations for a_n and b_n. The attempt at a solution involves finding a way to evaluate the integral for b_n, but it is found to be too complex and not elementary, except for when \ell = 2. The conversation ends with a request for help or suggestions on how to evaluate the integral.
JmsNxn

Homework Statement

This isn't really homework, just research I'm doing for myself...

we start by defining:
[tex]\sin_\ell(x) = (1 - \frac{1}{1+\tan^\ell(x)})^{\frac{1}{\ell}}\,\,\,for\, \,\,x \in [0, \pi][/tex]

for [itex]\ell[/itex] divisible by two, or [itex]\frac{1}{\ell}[/itex] divisible by two.

[tex]\sin_\ell(x + \pi) = -\sin_\ell(x) = \sin_\ell(-x)[/tex]

and then for:

[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin_\ell(t) \cdot \cos(n\cdot t) dt[/tex]

[tex]b_n = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin_\ell(t) \cdot \sin(n\cdot t) dt[/tex]

[tex]\sin_\ell(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} [a_n \cdot \cos(n\cdot x) + b_n \cdot \sin(n \cdot x)][/tex]

Homework Equations

what is [tex] b_n = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin_\ell(t) \cdot \sin(n\cdot t) dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, all I've really managed to deduce is that [tex]a_n[/tex] is always zero, this was found through the odd property of [tex]\sin_\ell(x)[/tex]

so we get
[tex]\sin_\ell(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}b_n \cdot \sin(n \cdot x)[/tex]

plugging in [itex]x = \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] we get:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_{2n + 1} \cdot (-1)^{n} = 1[/tex]

otherwise, I have no clue how to tackle this integral. To me it seems insurpassably complicated. Perhaps someone can simply point me towards the correct integration technique. Or perhaps there is an alternative way to find the Fourier coefficients that don't involve evaluating this clunky integral.

This is only a small part of the much bigger problem I'm analysing, so please don't think I'm just trying to find the easy way out. This part of the problem just goes beyond my schooling. Thanks, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

edit:
well I managed to reformulate:
[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin_\ell(t) \cdot \sin(n\cdot t) dt = \int_{-\pi}^{0} \sin_\ell(t) \cdot \sin(n\cdot t) dt + \int_{0}^{\pi} \sin_\ell(t) \cdot \sin(n\cdot t) dt[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \sin_\ell(t-\pi) \cdot \sin(n\cdot t - n \cdot \pi) dt + \int_{0}^{\pi} \sin_\ell(t) \cdot \sin(n\cdot t) dt = ((-1)^{n+1} + 1) \cdot \int_{0}^{\pi} (1 - \frac{1}{1+\tan^\ell(t)})^{\frac{1}{\ell}} \cdot \sin(n\cdot t) dt[/tex]

which means we can rewrite the equation as:
[tex]\sin_\ell(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} b_{2n+1} \cdot \sin((2n+1)\cdot x)[/tex]

or
[tex]\sin_\ell(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sin((2n + 1)\cdot x) \frac{2}{\pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \sin_\ell(t) \cdot \sin((2n + 1) \cdot t) dt[/tex]Actually, after plugging this into mathematica it does not return a algebraic result, which leaves me to believe this integral is NOT elementary. I'm a little inadequate at how to give the proof of this, but it seems sufficiently complex to not be elementary (save when [itex]\ell = 2[/itex])

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone has any ideas or can point me in the right direction on how to evaluate this integral, I would greatly appreciate it.

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to decompose a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How do I find the coefficients of a Fourier series?

The coefficients of a Fourier series can be found by using the Fourier series formula, which involves taking integrals of the function over a period. Alternatively, they can also be found by using the orthogonality property of sine and cosine functions.

3. What is the significance of the coefficients in a Fourier series?

The coefficients in a Fourier series represent the contribution of each sine and cosine function to the overall shape of the periodic function. They can also provide information about the frequency and amplitude of the function.

4. Can the coefficients of a Fourier series be negative?

Yes, the coefficients of a Fourier series can be negative. This indicates that the corresponding sine or cosine function has a negative contribution to the overall function. In fact, it is common for Fourier series coefficients to have both positive and negative values.

5. How can I use Fourier series coefficients in practical applications?

Fourier series coefficients have many practical applications, such as signal processing, data compression, and image reconstruction. They can also be used to solve differential equations and study the behavior of physical systems.