Physics behind voltage regulators

In summary: It can take a +12VDC input and provide -5VDC, +5VDC and +3.3VDC output.In summary, the voltage regulator converts a positive voltage to something negative.
littlebilly91
Hello,
I was given a voltage regulator today (to provide -5V to an op amp). I was told that I could create a -5V signal from a +5V and a ground. I was told that the ground was converted to a neutral level. I understand what that means, but not why or how it works. Could someone explain that to me how this works in detail? I am particularly interested in the physics behind it. It is an LM7905 if anyone is curious.

Thanks,
Chet

Engineering news on Phys.org
You cannot create -5V from +5V and ground using a 7905. 7905 will take a raw negative voltage more negative than -7V together with the 0V(ground) to regulate to -5V output. But no way can a 7905 take only +5V and 0V(ground) and get -5V.

Sorry, I listed the wrong one ( was given 2). LM7805 does the trick, yeah?

No, a 7805 will give you +5V out.

Converting a positive voltage to something negative is a bit tricky. One way of doing it is to create a "virtual ground", this will allow you to e.g. get +5 and -5V from a +12V supply.

AFAIK there is no single-chip solution for creating -5V from a +5V supply.

There must be a DC to DC converter that can convert +5V to -5V. Just that OP name 7905 on the first post. BUT not a single IC without monkeying with inductors and other components.

Actually, if you are given +5V and 0V, you can change reference and use +5V as common and 0V(ground ) as -5V. You have to be very careful to call anything ground. In a straight sense, it is all relative.

Back to the OP, there is no way to get -5V from either 7805 or 7905 if you have to keep 0V as ground from +5V.

there are switched capacitor converters that'll do it
if you don't need much current.

check Linear Technology's LTC 1983-3/LTC1983-5

What is a voltage regulator?

A voltage regulator is an electronic device that maintains a constant level of voltage in a circuit by adjusting the resistance in the circuit. It ensures that the output voltage remains stable, even when there are changes in the input voltage or current.

How does a voltage regulator work?

A voltage regulator works by using feedback control to monitor the output voltage and adjust the resistance in the circuit accordingly. If the output voltage drops, the regulator increases the resistance, and if the output voltage rises, the regulator decreases the resistance, maintaining a steady output voltage.

What are the different types of voltage regulators?

There are three main types of voltage regulators: linear, switching, and shunt. Linear regulators use a series pass element to regulate the output voltage, while switching regulators use a switching element to control the output voltage. Shunt regulators, also known as parallel regulators, use a shunt element to regulate the output voltage.

Why are voltage regulators important?

Voltage regulators are important because they help to ensure the stability and reliability of electronic devices. They protect devices from damage due to overvoltage or undervoltage, and they also help to minimize noise and fluctuations in the power supply, which can affect the performance of electronic components.

What are some common applications of voltage regulators?

Voltage regulators are used in a variety of electronic devices, including computers, mobile phones, power supplies, and automotive systems. They are also commonly used in industrial and commercial settings to regulate power for machinery and equipment.