Tools needed to create a website?

• Thread starter vivek.iitd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tools
In summary, the tools required to create a website include knowledge of C/C++, Java, HTML, PHP, and JavaScript.
vivek.iitd
Hello everyone, I need to create a website. Therefore, i would like to ask what are the tools required for the same. I know C/C++, java. I know that website designing is done in HTML, PHP etc. but i cannot form a clear picture of the same. I would like to know step by step procedure to create a website. Any help would be appreciated.

Technology news on Phys.org
Are you primarily interested in having a site up and running, or in understanding and being able to develop a site?

If it's the first one, just go to Google Sites or the N equivalent site builders out there and get something up and running in minutes.

Otherwise, W3Schools is a good site to start with, take a look at the HTML, CSS and JavaScript sections and a server-side language such as PHP.

Websites serve HTML, which is processed by browsers. Server-side languages like PHP are used to dynamically generate the HTML that is served to the client. HTML can contain:

1. CSS - tells the browser how to render the page. Designers often use image editing programs to create the look and feel, then CSS to achieve the same result (that's because designing by directly manipulating, and being constrained by, HTML/CSS, is a pain).

2. JavaScript - code that runs on the browser and is used to manipulate the contents of the page once it has loaded from the server.

That's the basics, the rest is just practice.

Actually i am interested in having a site up, as in let's say i have an organization and i want to build a site for the same (dot-com kind of thing). Regarding Google sites (or any other site builders), i think they are just like blogs, i.e. you just use predefined templates and fill in the blanks.
Though, i want to get professional and want to start from the scratch and build up on that (I don't know how difficult it would be).

As of now, i have these books
"HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide" by Bill Kennedy and Chuck Musciano (O'Reilly).
"Learning PHP 5" by Sklar.

to get started.

vivek.iitd said:
As of now, i have these books
"HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide" by Bill Kennedy and Chuck Musciano (O'Reilly).
"Learning PHP 5" by Sklar.

to get started.

I have built several web sites using only that book as a guide, but I do have to add that they are very utilitarian sites, rather plain looking and don't have anything like a shopping cart or a checkout process, they just serve up pages of images and text. If you want to get more elaborate you'll likely have to use either JavaScript or server-side programming, or both.

Here are some of my sites:

wood ID: www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
BOWLS: www.phinds.com/bowls/
jewelry box veneer: www.hobbithouseinc.com/store/
wood glossary: www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_glossary.htm
wood poster: www.woodposter.com/
woodworking acronyms: www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_acronyms.htm

phinds said:
I have built several web sites using only that book as a guide, but I do have to add that they are very utilitarian sites, rather plain looking and don't have anything like a shopping cart or a checkout process, they just serve up pages of images and text. If you want to get more elaborate you'll likely have to use either JavaScript or server-side programming, or both.

Beautiful poster.

Say, do you link to those acronyms in your sites? If so, you could make your Glossary even more user-friendly.

You could add a name attribute to each label, like this:
PHP:
<br><br><b name="GCSS">GCSS</b>

Now, anywhere you use GCSS in any online doc, you could make it a link directly to this line, like this:

PHP:
I like to use <a href="http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_acronyms.htm#GCSS">GCSS</a> to do my woodowork.

phinds said:

Really interesting websites i would say. This is what i was actually looking for, a correct picture of how to design a website. Thank you very much.
If possible, could you please tell what is the cost of buying a domain name and other costs?

DaveC426913 said:
Beautiful poster.

Say, do you link to those acronyms in your sites? If so, you could make your Glossary even more user-friendly.

You could add a name attribute to each label, like this:
PHP:
<br><br><b name="GCSS">GCSS</b>

Now, anywhere you use GCSS in any online doc, you could make it a link directly to this line, like this:

PHP:
I like to use <a href="http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_acronyms.htm#GCSS">GCSS</a> to do my woodowork.

I may play around w/ that Dave. Thanks. I'm very aware of a TON of things I could do to improve the sites. I think what you have there is functionally identical to the way I DO tag the items in the glossary and in fact, it's how my auto-generated "pages" within the glossary get back and forth to each other.

vivek.iitd said:
Really interesting websites i would say. This is what i was actually looking for, a correct picture of how to design a website. Thank you very much.
If possible, could you please tell what is the cost of buying a domain name and other costs?

Domain names will run you as little as $5 for the first year if you find a sale. Regular yearly prices run from $10 to $15 depending on who you register with.

Sites are free for small ones and they go up from there. I have been using a VPS which is very expensive but while a VPS was a good idea for a site the size of mine back about 10 years ago when I started it and wanted room to grow, these days my site is small potatoes and I'm going to switch over soon to a hosted site that is about $100/yr (discounted to $50 the first year including another domain name)

1. What is the difference between front-end and back-end development?

Front-end development involves creating the visual and interactive elements of a website that users see and interact with, such as the layout, design, and functionality. Back-end development involves creating the behind-the-scenes components of a website, such as the server-side scripts and databases. Both are necessary for a functioning website.

2. What programming languages are needed to create a website?

The main programming languages used for creating websites are HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. HTML is used for creating the structure and content of a webpage, CSS is used for styling and formatting the webpage, and JavaScript is used for adding interactive and dynamic elements to the webpage.

3. Do I need to know how to code to create a website?

While it is not necessary to know how to code to create a basic website, having some knowledge of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript can be beneficial for customizing and troubleshooting your website. There are also website builders and templates available that do not require coding knowledge.

4. What tools or software do I need to create a website?

To create a website, you will need a text editor to write your code, a web browser to preview your website, and a graphics editor for creating images and graphics. There are many free and paid options available for each of these tools, such as Notepad++, Google Chrome, and Adobe Photoshop.

5. Can I create a website for free?

Yes, it is possible to create a website for free using website builders, open-source platforms, or free hosting services. However, these options may have limitations in terms of customization and branding. It is also important to consider the potential costs of domain registration and web hosting if you want to have a professional and personalized website.