What is the Cost Function for a Long Distance Call?

• Thread starter gr3gg0r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, Trigonometry and College Algebra covered the basic concepts of angles, trigonometric functions, and basic algebra. I found the problem solving difficult, so I turned to an old calculus book to work out the answer. The cost of a 9 minute call is 1.04 + .36*9 which comes to 1.92 dollars.
gr3gg0r
I just completed Trigonometry and College Algebra, and I'm heading into Calculus, so i thought i would get a head start on the material. So right now I'm working out of an old calculus book i got at the library. Then i came across this problem:

A dial-direct long distance call between two cities costs $1.04 for the first 2 minutes and $0.36 for each additional minute or fraction thereof.
a.) Use the greatest integer function to write the cost C of a call in terms of the time t (in minutes). Graph the cost function and discuss its continuity.
b.) Find the cost of a 9-minute call.

I didn't think this would be so hard, so i worked at it a little bit, the only part i had trouble with was coming up with the correct function, graphing and solving for 9 minutes is easy after that. I got:
C(t) = 1.04, 0 < t <= 2
1.04 + 0.36 * greatest integer of (t - 2 ), t > 2

So i doulble checked in the back of the book and it says the answer is:
C(t) = 1.04, 0 < t <= 2
1.04 + 0.36 * greatest integer of (t - 1), t > 2, t is not an integer
1.04 + 0.36(t - 2), t > 2, t is an integer

i don't understand why there needs to be to separate functions for it being an integer or not. I thought with greatest integer, if the number is already an integer, it would leave it alone, and also, why only t - 1 in the second one, shouldn't it be t - 2?

Anyways, i hope someone will help me out. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
gr3gg0r said:
I just completed Trigonometry and College Algebra, and I'm heading into Calculus, so i thought i would get a head start on the material. So right now I'm working out of an old calculus book i got at the library. Then i came across this problem:

A dial-direct long distance call between two cities costs $1.04 for the first 2 minutes and $0.36 for each additional minute or fraction thereof.
a.) Use the greatest integer function to write the cost C of a call in terms of the time t (in minutes). Graph the cost function and discuss its continuity.
b.) Find the cost of a 9-minute call.

I didn't think this would be so hard, so i worked at it a little bit, the only part i had trouble with was coming up with the correct function, graphing and solving for 9 minutes is easy after that. I got:
C(t) = 1.04, 0 < t <= 2
1.04 + 0.36 * greatest integer of (t - 2 ), t > 2

So i doulble checked in the back of the book and it says the answer is:
C(t) = 1.04, 0 < t <= 2
1.04 + 0.36 * greatest integer of (t - 1), t > 2, t is not an integer
1.04 + 0.36(t - 2), t > 2, t is an integer

i don't understand why there needs to be to separate functions for it being an integer or not. I thought with greatest integer, if the number is already an integer, it would leave it alone, and also, why only t - 1 in the second one, shouldn't it be t - 2?

Anyways, i hope someone will help me out. Thanks!

Your book is right. You need two functions because you have two sets of parameters.

The first function is (t-1) because of the greatest integer function. Take a call of 5.1 minutes for example. It should be equivalent to a 6 minute call which is 2.48 dollars. Now (5.1-1) = 4.1. The greatest integer of 4.1 is 4. So you have the final function of 1.04 + (.36*4) = 2.48.

gr3gg0r said:

Because the greatest integer function is the greatest integer less than or equal to the number. What you want is the least integer function (which apparently isn't readily available to you).

The other issue (the need for a special function for the t is an integer case) has to do with how the 'greatest integer' function is defined. Does it produce the greatest integer less than a number, or does it produce the greatest integer less than or equal to a number? Depending on how it's set up, you will need a special case for some problems.

So basically my answer reformatted :biggrin:

thanks guys, i think i understand it now, i was making the mistake that 5.1 mins needed to be charged as 6 mins instead of 5 mins. Thanks again!

What is the "Greatest Integer Problem"?

The "Greatest Integer Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the largest integer value that is less than or equal to a given real number. It is also known as the "floor function" in mathematics.

What is the notation for the "Greatest Integer Problem"?

The notation for the "Greatest Integer Problem" is represented by the symbol ⌊x⌋, where x is the given real number. This symbol is read as "the greatest integer less than or equal to x."

How is the "Greatest Integer Problem" used in real-world applications?

The "Greatest Integer Problem" is often used in computer science and engineering to round down numbers to the nearest integer value. It is also used in finance and economics to calculate interest rates and currency conversions.

What is the difference between the "Greatest Integer Problem" and the "Ceiling Function"?

The "Greatest Integer Problem" always rounds a number down to the nearest integer, while the "Ceiling Function" rounds a number up to the nearest integer. In other words, the "Greatest Integer Problem" finds the largest integer less than or equal to a given number, while the "Ceiling Function" finds the smallest integer greater than or equal to a given number.

Are there any limitations to the "Greatest Integer Problem"?

Yes, there are limitations to the "Greatest Integer Problem." It can only be applied to real numbers, and it cannot be used for complex or imaginary numbers. Additionally, it can only find integer values, so it cannot be used for rounding to a specific decimal place.