How do you find a level surface representing another surface?

In summary, shalanheyyo seems to be having difficulty with the homework assignment. He does not know how to find the surface representing the graph of f(x,y) = sqrt(25-x^2). He has emailed his professor, and it seems as though the question is actually quite simple, but he still needs help understanding it.
shalanheyyo

Homework Statement

The surface S is the graph of f(x,y) = sqrt(25-x^2)

a)Find a level surface g(x,y,z) = c Representing S.
b) with C=?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do with this question. How should I find g(x,y,z)? Do I let sqrt(25-x^2) = C? I tried this method and the answer is wrong. Am I on the right track?And what does it mean by C=?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://math.arizona.edu/~calc/Text/Section12.5.pdf
... but surely you've covered this?

Don't know what it means by C=?
Does not look like a general notation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon Bridge said:
http://math.arizona.edu/~calc/Text/Section12.5.pdf
... but surely you've covered this?

Don't know what it means by C=?
Does not look like a general notation.
I missed 2 weeks of lectures because I was sick, so I am having a really difficult time to catch up...
So basically I take sqrt(25-x^2)-z and solve it for Z?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah - then you should read through that link I gave you.
It is very hard to give you hints without doing the thing for you it's that basic - the link covers the concepts and has examples.

Basically, you put g(x,y,z) = z-f(x,y) = c which gives you a family of 3D surfaces... now, if c=0, you get a simplification that will tell you the basic shape of the surface in 3D.

First, [itex]f(x,y)= \sqrt{25- x^2}[/itex] is not a surface in a xyz-coordinate system because you need a coordinate representing z. Rather [itex]z= \sqrt{25- x^2}[/itex] is a surface. And that is the same as [itex]\sqrt{25- x^2}- z= 0[/itex].

Its badly phrased isn't it?
I got my interpretation by googling for similar phrasing ... JIC.
shalanheyyo really needs to check with someone else on the course.

It could be the intent is that one put [itex]z=f(x,y)[/itex] then rearrange that so all the "constant" terms are on the RHS and all the terms with x or y or z in them are on the LHS. This would have form g(x,y,z)=c, and it would make sense to ask what c is.

I emailed my Prof and the question is actually really simple. I guess I got confused by how the question is worded

So are you going to enlighten us?

1. How do you determine the level surface of a given surface?

To find a level surface representing another surface, you need to first identify the equation or function that represents the given surface. Then, you can set the equation or function equal to a constant value, which will create a level surface that intersects the original surface at various points. This constant value is known as the level or contour value.

2. What is the significance of finding a level surface?

Finding a level surface allows us to understand the shape and characteristics of a given surface in a more simplified manner. It also helps in visualizing the contours and patterns of the surface, making it easier to interpret and analyze the data.

3. Can a level surface be represented in three-dimensional space?

Yes, a level surface can be represented in three-dimensional space. In fact, level surfaces are often visualized in three-dimensional graphs, where the constant level values are represented by contour lines.

4. Are there any limitations to finding a level surface?

One limitation is that finding a level surface is only possible for continuous surfaces. If the surface is not continuous or has discontinuities, then it may not be possible to find a level surface that accurately represents it.

5. How can the concept of level surfaces be applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of level surfaces is frequently used in fields such as geography, geology, and engineering. It can be applied to map out the contours of a land surface, identify potential areas of flooding or erosion, and model the behavior of fluids or gases in pipes or other structures.