Order of Graham-Schmidt Process

• Thread starter rdfloyd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Process
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of setting the starting vector in the GSP equal to any vector in the set and whether the order of vector subscripts needed to be followed. It was discovered that different answers could be obtained depending on the order, but both were correct. It was also noted that there are multiple orthonormal bases for a given subspace. An example was given to illustrate this concept.
rdfloyd
We learned the GSP yesterday in class, but my teacher said something that seems to conflict with the textbook.

He said that we can set our first vector ([itex]w_{1}[/itex]) equal to any vector in the set. However, I keep getting different answers than our textboook when I do this.

My question: Is it possible to set the starting vector equal to any vector in the set? Then, do I have to continue the GSP in the order of the vector subscripts?

For instance, assume that I have vectors [itex]v_{1}, v_{2}[/itex], and [itex]v_{3}[/itex]. I want to set [itex]v_{3}[/itex] as my first vector [itex]w_{1}[/itex]. So then my list becomes [itex]v_{3}, v_{2}[/itex], and [itex]v_{1}[/itex]. Do I now have to do the order backwards, or can I do the order [itex]v_{3}, v_{1}[/itex] (going 1[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 3), and [itex]v_{2}[/itex], etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
if your goals is to get the same answer in your textbook then you need to do it in the same order.

the fact that you get different (correct) answers shows that you can in fact do it in any order, you just get different answers.

if you think about it, it is obvious that there exist very many orthonormal bases for a given subspace.

to see what is going on, try it with (1,0) and (1,1) in both orders.

1. What is the Order of Graham-Schmidt Process?

The Order of Graham-Schmidt Process refers to the number of vectors in a set that are used in the process to create a new set of orthonormal vectors. It is also known as the dimension of the subspace spanned by the original vectors.

2. How is the Order of Graham-Schmidt Process calculated?

The Order of Graham-Schmidt Process is equal to the number of vectors in the original set, as each vector is used in the process to create a new orthonormal vector. For example, if the original set has 3 vectors, the resulting orthonormal set will also have 3 vectors, making the order of the process 3.

3. What is the purpose of the Order of Graham-Schmidt Process?

The main purpose of the Order of Graham-Schmidt Process is to transform a set of linearly independent vectors into a set of orthonormal vectors. This is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, particularly in linear algebra and vector calculus.

4. How does the Order of Graham-Schmidt Process work?

The process works by taking a set of linearly independent vectors and using a series of orthogonal projections and normalization steps to create a new set of orthonormal vectors. This ensures that the resulting vectors are all perpendicular to each other and have a magnitude of 1.

5. Are there any limitations to the Order of Graham-Schmidt Process?

One limitation of the process is that it can only be applied to a set of linearly independent vectors. If the original set of vectors is linearly dependent, the process will not work and will result in an error. Additionally, the process may introduce numerical errors due to the use of floating-point arithmetic.