Sound intensity, given frequencies

In summary, the intensity of a sound wave at a fixed distance from a speaker vibrating at 1.31 kHz is 0.894 W/m^2. When the frequency is increased to 2.33 kHz while maintaining a constant displacement amplitude, the intensity will increase to approximately 1.59 W/m^2. This can be determined using the equation I=(P/4pi*r^2) which relates intensity to power and area, and understanding that intensity is directly proportional to frequency squared.
Radian

Homework Statement

The intensity of a sound wave at a fixed dis-
tance from a speaker vibrating at 1.31 kHz is
0.894 W/m^2.
Determine the intensity if the frequency is
increased to 2.33 kHz while a constant dis-
placement amplitude is maintained.
Answer in units of W/m^2

Homework Equations

I=(P/4pi*r^a) and L = 10log(I0/I1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a proportion with frequency over intensity to where I did (1.31)/(.894) = (2.33)/(x) and got 1.59 but the internet program said it was wrong (I have 6 more tries). I then looked at my equation relating intensity to power and area which is the first equation listed above which is one of the many equations that we have learned in class. It seems like the most ideal equation but the problem is that I'm not given power and I don't know how to relate power to frequency. My guess is that maybe you solve for some sort of radius with the first part of the problem and then use that radius in the second part since it says that the displacement doesn't change. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Roughly: Intensity [itex] \propto [/itex] Energy [itex]\propto[/itex] velocity squared [itex]\propto[/itex] frequency squared

What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity refers to the amount of energy that is passing through a given area in a specific amount of time. It is a measure of how loud a sound is, and is typically measured in decibels (dB).

How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is typically measured using a sound level meter, which is a device that can detect and measure the pressure variations of sound waves. The measurements are then converted into decibels, which represent the intensity of the sound.

What is the relationship between sound intensity and frequency?

The relationship between sound intensity and frequency is inverse. This means that as the frequency of a sound increases, its intensity decreases, and vice versa. This is due to the fact that high frequency sounds have shorter wavelengths and therefore spread out over a larger area, resulting in a lower intensity.

How does sound intensity affect human hearing?

Exposure to high levels of sound intensity can have negative effects on human hearing, including temporary or permanent hearing loss, tinnitus, and other hearing-related issues. It is important to protect our ears from excessive sound intensity by wearing earplugs or limiting exposure to loud noises.

How can sound intensity be controlled or reduced?

Sound intensity can be controlled or reduced through various methods, such as using soundproofing materials, adjusting the distance from the sound source, or using noise-cancelling technology. It is also important to regulate the volume of sound-producing devices and limit exposure to excessively loud noises.