Japanese Culture and the Importance of Book Covers: A Scientific Perspective

• Thread starter Christophe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Love
In summary: It's good for you, lots of fiber in those book covers! And japanesese people are ordering lots of the new printer that is able to print edible pages. In summary, Japanese people like book covers that are tasty, and they think it is important.
Christophe
That is Japanese people's thought, so how about you and your people ? Which one is important ? Why do you think it is important ?

Thank you

Christophe...

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not seen all book covers.
I do not love all book covers that I have seen.
I would only "love" or "hate" a book cover after experiencing it.
I don't find it important if I do.

Why do japanese love the covers of all books? It's something associated with religion, culture...?

Why do japanese always go with a camera in their hands...?

Never judge a book by it's cover..or lack thereof

Christophe said:
That is Japanese people's thought, so how about you and your people ? Which one is important ? Why do you think it is important ?

Thank you

Christophe...

Am I the only one who cannot understand what this means? :confused:

I don't get it.

It's simple... traditionally, the Japanese made books out of rice paper, and customarily added salt to the covers to make them last longer. Japanese book covers were tasty. Today most book covers are inedible, but the liking persists.

Last edited:
Bartholomew said:
It's simple... traditionally, the Japanese made books out of rice paper, and customarily added salt to the covers to make them last longer. Japanese book covers were tasty. Today most book covers are inedible, but the liking persists.

:rofl: :rofl:

I didn't understand the OP either.

This calculus book tastes awful! D@mn you people for tricking me into tasting it! :mad:

Math Is Hard, here, want this physics one instead? I swear it tastes a lot better... :cool:

nice try, Andromeda! :rofl:
I remember once I gave my friend some special white-chocolate-coated dog-biscuits for her dog. I brought them to work and the things just looked awfully delicious! In a fit of mischief, we were able to trick four programmers into sampling them by telling them they were cookies! :biggrin: :rofl:

You're just evil MIH! :uhh: But I guess we already knew that.

Let's see, if I had to pick a cover of a book I like best, I guess I'd pick the back cover. The front cover is mostly redundant with the title page, but the back cover has either a description of the book or a little bio about the author...that makes it interesting.

Though, for eating, I'd have to say I prefer paperbacks. Hardcovers are just too chewy. :rofl:

yea yea.. i have this bio book and its so heavy it makes my bookshelf tilt - because on the other end i have a calculus book which is of the same volume.. but half the weight - weird.

"if it stinks, biology. if it evacuates the building, chemistry. if it doesn't work, physics" :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Though, for eating, I'd have to say I prefer paperbacks. Hardcovers are just too chewy.
Reminds me of a young scientist I once knew who was invited to a paper-reading event but misheard and thought it was a paper-eating event.

Considering how much textbooks cost, and how little you get for them on trade-in, making them edible would be a really nice bonus! Instead of those worthless CD ROMs they bundle in, how about a Hershey bar? Now that's value-added!

^^ I'm all for it...

I had a friend once who was really into smelling books...(I'm serious...). He said you could tell a lot about a book from its smell. He was a bit wacky...I guess that goes without saying ;-)

I think the people here have done a tad too much of eating book covers... :biggrin: :tongue2:

GeD said:
I think the people here have done a tad too much of eating book covers... :biggrin: :tongue2:

It's good for you, lots of fiber in those book covers! :tongue2:

And japanesese people are ordering lots of the new printer that is able to print edible pages
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18524866.500

sorry, I have to go, is time for supper. Where's the ketchup for this Calculus book? Yum

Last edited:
It sure would solve the problem of the starving grad student. Once you're done with a chapter, eat it for dinner.

What does "They love covers of all books" mean?

This phrase means that a group of people or a particular person enjoys and appreciates the cover designs of all types of books.

Why do people love book covers?

People often love book covers because they are the first thing that catches their attention and draws them towards a book. Book covers can also give readers a sense of what the book is about and can create a visual representation of the story.

What makes a book cover appealing?

A book cover can be appealing for different reasons, but some common elements that make a cover stand out are a visually appealing design, an eye-catching color scheme, and a clear and concise title and author name.

Do book covers affect book sales?

Yes, book covers can have a significant impact on book sales. A well-designed cover can attract readers and entice them to pick up a book, while a poorly designed cover may deter them from even considering the book.

How do book covers reflect the content of the book?

A book cover can reflect the content of the book in various ways, such as through imagery, font choices, and color schemes. The cover can also give readers a sense of the genre or tone of the book, preparing them for what they can expect from the story.