Thermodynamics- Heat engine and refrigeration

In summary, the nuclear power plant generates 2000 MW of heat energy from nuclear reactions in the reactor's core. This energy is used to boil water and produce high-pressure steam at 300° C. The steam spins a turbine, which produces 700 MW of electric power, then the steam is condensed and the water is cooled to 30° C before starting the cycle again. The plant's maximum possible thermal efficiency is 47.1%, while the plant's actual efficiency is 35%. Cooling water from a river flows through the condenser (the low-temperature heat exchanger) at the rate of 1.2 \times 10^{8}\;{\rm L}/{\rm hr} ( approx 30 million gallons per hour). If the
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A nuclear power plant generates 2000 MW of heat energy from nuclear reactions in the reactor's core. This energy is used to boil water and produce high-pressure steam at 300° C. The steam spins a turbine, which produces 700 MW of electric power, then the steam is condensed and the water is cooled to 30° C before starting the cycle again.

A: What is the maximum possible thermal efficiency of the power plant?

B: What is the plant's actual efficiency?

C: Cooling water from a river flows through the condenser (the low-temperature heat exchanger) at the rate of [itex]1.2 \times 10^{8}\;{\rm L}/{\rm hr}[/itex] ( approx 30 million gallons per hour). If the river water enters the condenser at [itex]18^\circ \rm C[/itex], what is its exit temperature in C°?

Homework Equations

Q=McΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the first two problems.

A = 47.1%
B = 35%

It is C that I am having difficulties with.

If 2,000 MW are going into the system, and only 700 MW are used, then 1,300 MW should be fed into the cold reservoir.

Solving for Joules per second.

[itex]1,300MW=1.3*10^6 \frac{J}{s}[/itex]

Solving for volume per second.

[itex]1.28*10^8\frac{L}{hr}*\frac{1hr}{3,600s}*\frac{1m^3}{1,000L}=\frac{100}{3}\frac{m^3}{s}[/itex]

Solving for mass.

[itex](M)kg=(1,000\frac{kg}{m^3})(\frac{100}{3}\frac{m^3}{s})=\frac{100,000}{3}kg/s[/itex]

[itex]Q=Mc\Delta T[/itex]

[itex]1.3*10^6 J = (\frac{100,000}{3}kg)(4190\frac{J}{kg*K})(T_f K-291 K)[/itex]

Solving for this, I get

[tex]\frac{1.3*10^6 J}{(\frac{100,000}{3}kg)(4190 \frac{J}{kg*K})}+291 K = T_f = 291.0093 K = 18.009^{\circ} C[/tex]

As this is not the correct answer, I am definitely doing something wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.
Mac

Physics news on Phys.org
How many watts is 1300 MW? It's 1300 * 10^6 W

Oh, well that was dumb of me. I was just taking it for granted that 1 MW was 1000 Watts without even looking it up.

I plugged it the correct numbers and that worked. It gave me a final answer of 27.3 K.

Thank you very much for your help.
Mac

1. What is the difference between a heat engine and a refrigeration system?

A heat engine is a device that converts thermal energy into mechanical work, while a refrigeration system is a device that transfers heat from a colder region to a hotter region. In other words, a heat engine uses heat to do work, while a refrigeration system uses work to move heat.

2. How does a heat engine work?

A heat engine works by taking in thermal energy from a hot reservoir, using it to do work, and then releasing the remaining energy to a cold reservoir. This process is repeated in a cycle, and the work output is used to power machinery or perform other tasks.

3. What is the Carnot cycle and why is it important in thermodynamics?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert thermal energy into mechanical work. It is important because it sets the upper limit for the efficiency of any heat engine, and helps us understand the limitations of real-world engines.

4. How does a refrigeration system cool a space or object?

A refrigeration system cools a space or object by using a refrigerant to absorb heat from the space or object and then releasing that heat to the outside environment. This is achieved through a series of compression and expansion processes that result in a net transfer of heat from a lower temperature region to a higher temperature region.

5. How does the second law of thermodynamics apply to heat engines and refrigeration systems?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy conversion process, some energy will be lost as heat. This applies to heat engines and refrigeration systems, as they both involve the conversion of heat energy to a different form of energy. It also sets limits on the efficiency of these systems, as some energy will always be lost in the conversion process.