Equipment required to to the electron double slit experiment ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of equipment required for an electron double slit experiment. The participants mention that a source of coherent electrons is needed, which can be expensive and out of reach for most amateur attempts. However, one participant shares their personal experience of successfully conducting the experiment at home and provides a link to a blog post about it. Another participant also shares a link to a website with information on the experiment, but notes that the link is currently broken.
laudas
Hi can any point me to a site/paper on how to construct the equipment required for the electron double slit experiment ?

Thanks

Lachlan

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a source of coherent electrons, which is generally quite expensive and—assuming this is something you want to attempt yourself—out of reach for all but very rich amateurs.

Thanks for comming back, yar expect it might have been,
but was also interested in how it was done in detail.

Lachlan

Lucky you that I read this thread. The DSE is quite easy and cheap to do at home; I've tried it myself - check out my PF blog post about it here: https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=4096 . EDIT: sorry, did not notice that it was the electron version that was asked for :smile:. That's definitely not as easy to do as with photons, but I have some link about it, I'll post it when I've found it...

EDIT: Here it is (or rather, was): http://www.hitachi.com/rd/research/em/doubleslit.html, sadly the link seems to be broken :frown:.
EDIT: Here's the correct link :smile:: http://www.hitachi.com/rd/portal/research/em/doubleslit.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of the electron double slit experiment?

The electron double slit experiment is used to demonstrate the wave-like behavior of electrons and other particles. It helps to understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and the nature of matter.

2. What equipment is needed for the electron double slit experiment?

The equipment required for the electron double slit experiment includes a particle source, a double slit apparatus, a detector/screen, and a power source. The particle source can be a laser, a cathode ray tube, or a radioactive source. The double slit apparatus consists of two parallel slits, and the detector/screen is used to detect the particles after they pass through the slits. A power source is needed to power the equipment and create an electric field to accelerate the particles.

3. How does the double slit apparatus work?

The double slit apparatus consists of two parallel slits that are close to each other. When particles pass through the slits, they diffract and create an interference pattern on the detector/screen. This pattern is a result of the wave-like behavior of particles, where they can exist in multiple places at once.

4. Why is it important to use a single particle source in the experiment?

Using a single particle source is important because it allows for the observation of the wave-like behavior of particles. If multiple particles are used, the interference pattern on the detector/screen is a result of the particles interacting with each other, rather than their wave-like nature.

5. Can the electron double slit experiment be performed with other particles besides electrons?

Yes, the electron double slit experiment can be performed with other particles, such as protons, neutrons, and even larger molecules. However, the size and weight of the particle may affect the results, as smaller particles tend to exhibit more wave-like behavior than larger particles.