Dark matter galaxies, stars and planetoids

In summary, dark matter is believed to exist separately from ordinary matter and has yet to be detected. There are theories that suggest galaxies and planets composed entirely of dark matter exist, but they have not been confirmed. Detection methods, such as gravitational lensing, are still being developed. However, there are also other forms of dark matter, such as MACHOs and free Jupiters, that could account for part of the dark matter density. It is important to specify "non-baryonic dark matter" when discussing the standard model, as it is not yet confirmed if dark matter is indeed non-baryonic.
Loren Booda
Can and do they exist primarily separate from ordinary matter, and how might they be detected (e. g., gravitational lensing, Newtonian mechanics)?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dark matter - specifically the CDM model - does not gravitationally collapse to form such odd objects as stars and galaxies. Even in a cloud, the DM stuff just yoyo's between the halo and center of mass. DM particles are very unsociable and rarely interact even with one another. Detection methods are still works in progress.

Loren Booda said:
Can and do they exist primarily separate from ordinary matter, and how might they be detected (e. g., gravitational lensing, Newtonian mechanics)?

Galaxies composed entirely of dark matter might exist, but they have yet to be detected. I don't think there's any easy way to detect them dynamically, but lensing would certainly do the job. Stayed on that subject, as gravitational lensing is in its prime.

Stars, by definition, are visible matter, so it wouldn't make sense for them to be dark. In the current model, as Chronos says, we're leaning towards weakly-interacting particles as the dark matter, so the "weakly-interacting" part would prevent them from collapsing into pressure-supported objects like stars.

As for planets, they are dark matter, whatever they're composed of, because they don't emit enough light for us to see them beyond the solar system. If there were 10^17 Earth's floating around inside of our galaxy, we wouldn't necessarily know about it. We have good reasons to think, however, that normal planets can't be the dominant form of dark matter.

SpaceTiger said:
As for planets, they are dark matter, whatever they're composed of, because they don't emit enough light for us to see them beyond the solar system. If there were 10^17 Earth's floating around inside of our galaxy, we wouldn't necessarily know about it. We have good reasons to think, however, that normal planets can't be the dominant form of dark matter.

The term "dark matter" is usually used as a term of art to mean non-bayronic matter that is not visible which accounts for phenomena not explained by GR and visible matter and "ordinary" matter which is not visible.

Certainly everyone agrees that there is some ordinary matter which is "dark", like planets and hydrogen gas and even MACHOS. But, as these don't fit the bill in sufficient quantities they are often not thought of a true "dark matter".

ohwilleke said:
The term "dark matter" is usually used as a term of art to mean non-bayronic matter that is not visible which accounts for phenomena not explained by GR and visible matter and "ordinary" matter which is not visible.

I realize that people often speak that way, but it's poor terminology and technically incorrect. If they mean that, they should say WIMPs or non-baryonic dark matter (depending on which they mean).

Last edited:
SpaceTiger said:
I realize that people often speak that way, but it's poor terminology and technically incorrect. If they mean that, they should say WIMPs or non-baryonic dark matter (depending on which they mean).

And what if they don't want to specify either one? BTW how is "non-baryonic dark matter" better than "dark matter"?

selfAdjoint said:
BTW how is "non-baryonic dark matter" better than "dark matter"?
Because it is non-baryonic!

DM has an average cosmological density of 23% closure density, whereas the standard model BBN only allows max 4% closure density, and that is pushing it, so according to the standard cosmological model DM has to be non-baryonic.

However the standard model may not be correct, for example the “Freely Coasting” Cosmology model produces about 20% baryonic closure density and so in that case DM, or most of it, might be baryonic.

Also there is a lot of dark baryonic density out there, in the form of BHs (MACHO's), possible free Jupiters, and the Lyman alpha forest IGM gas that could be the tip of an invisible (because it is dark!) iceberg. So if you mean the standard model it is more precise to specify "non-baryonic dark matter".

Garth

selfAdjoint said:
And what if they don't want to specify either one?

I'm not sure what you mean. Which possibility is being excluded?

BTW how is "non-baryonic dark matter" better than "dark matter"?

Garth covered the answer to this pretty well. My main objection is that it presupposes part of the solution to the dark matter problem (i.e. that it's non-baryonic WIMPs) which, although the current dogma, is not yet a sure thing. That said, my co-workers make the same mistake from time to time and I'm sure it's done in some papers, so it's certainly understandable that people would use "dark matter" that way.

I admit it's naughty, but when I see "dark matter" I automatically assume it means non-baryonic. The other kind, while still extremely useful, is not that terribly interesting.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or interact with electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes and other instruments used to study the universe. Its existence is inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter, such as galaxies, stars, and planetoids.

2. How much of the universe is made up of dark matter?

It is estimated that dark matter makes up about 27% of the total mass-energy of the universe. This is significantly more than the amount of visible matter, which makes up only about 5% of the universe.

3. Do dark matter galaxies, stars, and planetoids exist?

While dark matter cannot be directly observed, it is believed to make up the majority of the mass in galaxies, including stars and planetoids. However, because it does not interact with light, it is impossible to detect these objects using traditional methods.

4. How is dark matter different from regular matter?

Dark matter and regular matter have very different properties. Regular matter, which makes up everything we can see and interact with, is composed of atoms and subatomic particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. Dark matter, on the other hand, is thought to be made up of different types of particles that do not interact with light.

5. What is the current research on dark matter galaxies, stars, and planetoids?

Scientists are constantly studying and researching dark matter to better understand its properties and role in the universe. Some current research includes using advanced telescopes and detectors to try to directly detect dark matter particles, studying the effects of dark matter on the formation and evolution of galaxies, and exploring alternative theories to explain the existence of dark matter.