Exploring the Concept of Rest in Outer Space

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of being in outer space without any gravitational pull or leverage. The question is whether someone in this situation would be at a constant rest or have a constant velocity. The answer is that there is no such thing as absolute rest, and one would still have a relative velocity to other bodies in the universe, ranging from zero to almost the speed of light.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
It just got me thinking, if I were to be in outer space, and assuming there's no gravitational pull from some other mass, or it's negligble, then to what would I fall, and I don't see how I can move cause I wouldn't have any leverage.

Wouldn't I be at constant rest?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
It just got me thinking, if I were to be in outer space, and assuming there's no gravitational pull from some other mass, or it's negligble, then to what would I fall, and I don't see how I can move cause I wouldn't have any leverage.

I would say yes.

MathematicalPhysicist said:

Well, you have the right idea, except that "constant rest" implies absolute velocity (of zero in this case) which does not exist.

That is, there is no such thing as "absolute rest" which I interpret to be what you have to mean when you say "constant rest".

No matter where you are in the universe, including where you are right now OR if you were in intergalactic space well away from all gravitational bodies so that their attraction on you is negligible, you would STILL be traveling a speed N relative to other bodies, and "N" can be anything from zero up to almost the speed of light.

What is rest in outer space?

Rest in outer space refers to the state of being at rest or motionless in a zero-gravity environment. This means that there is no force acting on an object to cause movement or acceleration.

How does rest in outer space affect the human body?

The lack of gravity in outer space can have various effects on the human body, including muscle atrophy, bone density loss, and changes in blood circulation. Without the constant pull of gravity, the body also experiences a feeling of weightlessness.

Can objects be at rest in outer space without any external force?

Yes, objects can be at rest in outer space without any external force. In the absence of gravity, an object will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

How do astronauts rest in outer space?

Astronauts on space missions typically use special sleeping bags attached to the walls of the spacecraft to rest. These bags are designed to keep the astronauts in place and provide some sense of weight and stability.

What are some potential challenges of rest in outer space for long-duration spaceflights?

Some potential challenges of rest in outer space for long-duration spaceflights include the development of health issues due to prolonged weightlessness, difficulties with sleep and circadian rhythm, and the psychological impact of being in a confined and isolated environment for an extended period of time.