Is a Chinook-Style Design the Key to a Successful Rubber Motored Helicopter?

In summary, a student is working on a Science Olympiad project to make a rubber motored helicopter and is looking for the best design. They have noticed that Chinook styled helicopters have a special rule that allows them to have 3x their original flight time. The student is wondering if this rule is to encourage students to make that type of helicopter or if it is because they are harder to make. They have been searching for equations regarding the efficiency of helicopter rotors but have had no success. They have also tried researching and asking their teacher for help, but have not found any useful information. They now plan to conduct experiments to optimize their design and are considering using a dual-rotor configuration. They also suggest tilting the axis
ac16690

Homework Statement

For a Science Olympiad project I need to make a rubber motored helicopter, and with this I need to find the best design for one. One special rule in this is that Chinook styled helicopters get 3x their original flight time, I was wondering if that would be just to encourage students to do that type of helicopter, or if they are just harder to make. Also i have been looking for formulas about the efficiency of helicopter rotors with no success. Most models I have seen were Chinook helicopters and they were made from Balsa wood. Any help with some equations to help me out with lift or drag would be helpful.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried researching equations, and have also asked my teacher and she left me with more questions than answers because she wants me to figure it out. Luckily this is due May 28th so I have awhile and I was spending hours on typical helicopter designs with no avail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ac16690 said:

Homework Statement

For a Science Olympiad project I need to make a rubber motored helicopter, and with this I need to find the best design for one. One special rule in this is that Chinook styled helicopters get 3x their original flight time, I was wondering if that would be just to encourage students to do that type of helicopter, or if they are just harder to make. Also i have been looking for formulas about the efficiency of helicopter rotors with no success. Most models I have seen were Chinook helicopters and they were made from Balsa wood. Any help with some equations to help me out with lift or drag would be helpful.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried researching equations, and have also asked my teacher and she left me with more questions than answers because she wants me to figure it out. Luckily this is due May 28th so I have awhile and I was spending hours on typical helicopter designs with no avail.

Perhaps it's time to try some experiments, eh? It may be easier to optimize your work through experiment rather than trying to find equations for the situation.

Since balsa wood helicopter kits are common and cheap, can you think of some experiments that you can use to try to optimize a design for this assignment? And is there a way you can experiment with the dual-rotor configuration?

BTW, one of the optimizations used in dual rotor helicopters is synchronizing the two rotors so they can be closer together without banging into each other. How can you do that in a balsa-wood experimental model?

Last edited:
berkeman said:
BTW, one of the optimizations used in dual rotor helicopters is synchronizing the two rotors so they can be closer together without banging into each other. How can you do that in a balsa-wood experimental model?
I'm wondering if the induced wash from overlapping rotors reduces efficiency. Maybe this is done to reduce size? One of the rotors could be just mounted higher than the other to prevent the rotors from colliding. The real Chinook rotors are synchornized via a shaft. The rear rotor is slightly higher than the front, but not by enough to avoid the rotors hitting each other if they weren't synchronized.

Last edited:
I would be a bit concerned about stability. If one rotor produces more lift than the other it is likely to turn over.

CWatters said:
I would be a bit concerned about stability. If one rotor produces more lift than the other it is likely to turn over.
I'm wondering if tilting the axis of the rotors slightly towards each other would help. Initially an imbalance would produce an imbalancing torque, but the lower lift producing rotor would become more horizontal and the higher lit producing rotor would become less horizontal, providing forwards or backwards thrust. The forwards or backwards thrust would result in forwards or backwards movement of the helicopter, reducing the imbalance in torque.

Certainly worth trying. Similar to dihedral.

1. What is a rubber motored helicopter?

A rubber motored helicopter is a type of toy helicopter that is powered by a rubber band. The rubber band is attached to the rotor blades and when it is wound up, it creates tension and turns the blades, allowing the helicopter to fly.

2. How does a rubber motored helicopter work?

A rubber motored helicopter works by using the stored energy in a wound-up rubber band to turn the rotor blades, which creates lift and allows the helicopter to fly. The rubber band is connected to the blades through a series of gears and a shaft, similar to how a traditional motor works.

3. Are rubber motored helicopters safe for children to play with?

Yes, rubber motored helicopters are generally considered safe for children to play with. However, it is important for children to be supervised while playing with any type of toy helicopter to prevent accidents or injuries.

4. How long does the flight time of a rubber motored helicopter last?

The flight time of a rubber motored helicopter can vary depending on the size and quality of the helicopter, as well as the strength of the rubber band being used. On average, flight times can range from a few minutes to up to 15 minutes.

5. Can the rubber band in a rubber motored helicopter be replaced?

Yes, the rubber band in a rubber motored helicopter can be replaced. Most toy helicopters come with extra rubber bands or they can be purchased separately. It is important to follow the instructions for replacing the rubber band carefully to ensure the helicopter continues to function properly.