Power Systems protection - how are modern relays connected

In summary, a star-delta transformer connection can be configured with independent CTs for use in digital relays, providing both protection and accurate phase shift measurement.
Fisher92
Hi, I have a PS&P assignment where we are designing the protection for a substation - its an overview of the type of protection etc.

I have a star delta 42MVA (cyclic rating) 132:22 kv TX...

I've done some research and want to use an SEL487E relay.

Since this is star delta (star nueltral is floating) I have a 30deg phase shift. This is traditionally accounted for by configuring the CT's in delta on the HV side and star on the LV side, yielding a net phase shift of zero... This is fine for electromechanical relays and I get why it's done.

BUT - I think that since I have an electronic relay I can just have 6 completely independent CT's on each incoming/outgoing phase and feed a current to the relay.CT's are not connected at all - no differential element etc. Obviously I would account for the ratio in the TX by choosing CT ratios and tell the relay the setup, expected phase shift etc.

-----Is this setup done in practice or would the CT's still be configured opposite to the transformer wingdings??
------If this is done, can I use the same CT's for over-current protection?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for any input!Yes, it is possible to configure the CTs independently in a star-delta transformer connection. This setup is commonly used in digital protective relays, such as the SEL487E. With this configuration, the CTs will be able to measure the current in each phase of the transformer. This setup can also be used to provide over-current protection. For a star-delta transformer, the CTs should be sized appropriately to match the ratio of the transformer. The relay will then account for the phase shift and use differential protection if needed.

1. What is the purpose of power systems protection?

Power systems protection is used to detect and isolate faults in the power system to prevent damage to equipment and ensure the safety of personnel. It also helps to maintain the reliability and stability of the power system.

2. What are modern relays and how do they differ from traditional relays?

Modern relays are electronic devices that are used to protect power systems from faults. They are more advanced than traditional relays as they use digital technology to provide more accurate and faster protection. They also have additional features such as communication capabilities.

3. How are modern relays connected in a power system?

Modern relays are typically connected to the power system through a combination of current and voltage transformers. These transformers step down the high voltage and current of the power system to levels that can be measured and processed by the relay.

4. What types of protections can modern relays provide?

Modern relays can provide a wide range of protections, including overcurrent, differential, distance, and directional protections. They can also monitor power quality parameters such as voltage, frequency, and power factor.

5. How do modern relays communicate with other devices in the power system?

Modern relays use communication protocols such as IEC 61850 or Modbus to communicate with other devices in the power system. This allows for remote monitoring and control of the relays, as well as the exchange of data between different devices in the power system.