Suppose A and B are n × n matrices. Show that range(AB) ⊆ range(A)

• Thread starter jazz_hole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses showing that range(AB) is a subset of range(A) for n x n matrices A and B, with the OP struggling to show this rigorously.
jazz_hole

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to show AB is a linear combination of the columns of A, but I'm not sure how to show this in general.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi jazz_hole! welcome to pf! :smile:
jazz_hole said:

isn't it obvious? :wink:

I can see how it is true, but I don't know how to show it rigorously. For all n x n matrices.

Assume ##y \in \text{range}(AB)##. Show that ##y \in \text{range}(A)##.

You need to understand what is meant precisely when you say ##y \in \text{range}(AB)##.

jazz_hole said:
I can see how it is true, but I don't know how to show it rigorously.

start "let y ε range (AB)

then there exists …" :wink:

Moderator note -- The OP has been banned because of his choice of username.

1. What does it mean for a matrix to be n × n?

A matrix that is n × n has the same number of rows and columns, with n representing the size of the matrix. This means that both A and B have the same number of rows and columns, with each matrix having n rows and n columns.

2. What is the range of a matrix?

The range of a matrix is the set of all possible output values that can be obtained by multiplying the matrix with a vector. In other words, it is the set of all possible solutions to the equation Ax = b, where A is the matrix and b is a vector.

3. Why is it important to show that range(AB) ⊆ range(A)?

It is important to show that range(AB) ⊆ range(A) because it helps to understand the relationship between the two matrices and how their ranges are related. It also helps to determine if the range of AB is a subset of the range of A, which can have important implications in solving systems of linear equations.

4. How can we prove that range(AB) ⊆ range(A)?

To prove that range(AB) ⊆ range(A), we can use the fact that range(AB) is a subset of the column space of A, and that the column space of A is equal to the range of A. Therefore, any vector in the range of AB can also be found in the range of A, showing that range(AB) ⊆ range(A).

5. Can range(AB) ever be equal to range(A)?

Yes, it is possible for range(AB) to be equal to range(A). This can happen when the columns of B are linear combinations of the columns of A, or when the columns of A and B are linearly dependent. In these cases, the range of AB will be the same as the range of A.