How to Solve for F1 in a Net Torque Problem?

In summary, the problem involves determining the force F1 and the distance d in the net torque equation given by Net Torque = (0.750m)F1 - (0.250m)Fg + dFg. The key concept to solve this problem is to take the moment around a given point and set it equal to zero, since nothing is accelerating. Taking the moment around point 2 would make the problem easier as the force F2 is unknown and the distances are given relative to that point.
Arcarius

Homework Statement

efce2ab76d096c30fa94c414d10fd47c.png

Homework Equations

Net Torque = F1I1 + F2I2

The Attempt at a Solution

In the y direction, the net force is: 0 = F2-Fg, so F2=Fg.
I attempted to do the problem by resolving the net torque, where I defined CW as positive and CCW as negative, so I got: Net Torque = (0.750m)F1 - (0.250m)Fg + dFg. I don't know how to find the distance d in the Net Torque equation, which is keeping me from getting F1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arcarius said:
In the y direction, the net force is: 0 = F2-Fg, so F2=Fg.
I attempted to do the problem by resolving the net torque, where I defined CW as positive and CCW as negative, so I got: Net Torque = (0.750m)F1 - (0.250m)Fg + dFg. I don't know how to find the distance d in the Net Torque equation, which is keeping me from getting F1.

Forgive me, but I'm unable to follow your notation. What is Fg referring to? What's d mean? They are not indicated in the problem statement, nor the diagram.

Maybe you could use F1 for the force of the table on the first support (at 1), F2 for the force of the table on the second support (at 2), and Mg (as in M times g) for the force of gravity on the chair and child.

Here is a hint on how to do this problem: Nothing is accelerating, even rotationally. So you know all torques (moments) around a given point is zero. First you'll need to pick a point around which to take a moment. Any point will do, but some points are more logical than others (and a couple of points you'll want to avoid). You'll make this problem a lot easier on yourself if you take the moment around point 2, since you don't already know what the force is at that point (i.e. there isn't a known force there that would help solve the problem anyway), the problem statement isn't asking for the force at that point, and distances are given to you relative to that point.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

What is torque and how does it relate to net torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force acting on an object. Net torque is the sum of all torques acting on an object, and it determines the object's rotational motion.

What is F1 in the context of solving net torque?

F1 is the force acting on an object that is causing rotational motion. It is one of the forces included in the calculation of net torque.

How do you find F1 when solving for net torque?

To find F1, you will need to know the distance from the pivot point to where F1 is applied, as well as the magnitude and direction of F1. You can then use the formula τ = r x F to calculate F1, where τ is the net torque, r is the distance, and F is the magnitude of F1.

What units are used to measure F1 and torque?

F1 is typically measured in Newtons (N), the unit of force, while torque is measured in Newton-meters (N*m). Other units such as pounds (lb) and foot-pounds (ft*lb) may also be used in some contexts.

Why is it important to solve for net torque in rotational motion problems?

Calculating net torque is crucial in understanding the rotational motion of an object. It allows us to determine the direction and speed of rotation, as well as predict how forces will affect the object's motion. This information is essential in many real-world applications, such as designing machines and structures that involve rotational motion.