Need help in some inter-dimensional isomorphisms

• Thread starter alexbennie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inter-dimensional isomorphisms, specifically looking at the set M defined as {e^(i*arctan(x)) in C | x in R}. It is mentioned that M is isomorphic to the real line, and there is an attempt to show that M x M is isomorphic to R^2, but this is not done rigorously. The possibility of M x M being a hollow torus in R^4 or C^2 is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a request for help and a clarification on the definition of an isomorphism.
alexbennie
Need help in some "inter-dimensional isomorphisms"

consider the set
M = {e^(i*arctan(x)) in C | x in R }

now it is obvious that M is isomorphic to the real line, so we have an isomorphism from a subset of 2D to 1D.
ok, now we should have M x M isomorphic to R^2, but somehow I cannot do this rigorously (excuse the spelling? :)
what I do know (if there is no mistake in my working :) is that M x M is a hollow torus (doughnut :) in R^4 or C^2 if one allows x to be infinity in the definition

if there are anyone willing to help - i will nbe greatly indebted

Physics news on Phys.org
If you change the definition of M (by "allowing x to go to infinity"), then why would you think M is still isomorphic to R?

(And P.S. it won't be a donut)

if f is an iso from X to Y then fxf is an iso from XxX to YxY sending (a,b) to (f(a),f(b))

in this case yuo can be even more specific since the image of R under arctan is the open interval (-pi/2,pi/2), and you know what that maps to under exp, right?

1. What are inter-dimensional isomorphisms?

Inter-dimensional isomorphisms are mathematical relationships between different dimensions or universes. They describe how objects, concepts, and systems can be mapped between different dimensions while preserving their essential properties.

2. Why do we need help with inter-dimensional isomorphisms?

Inter-dimensional isomorphisms are complex and challenging to understand and apply. As a scientist, I am constantly seeking help and collaboration from other experts to further our understanding of these concepts and their potential applications.

3. What are some real-world examples of inter-dimensional isomorphisms?

One example is the holographic principle, which suggests that the information contained in a three-dimensional space can be encoded on a two-dimensional surface. Another example is the concept of parallel universes, where different dimensions exist simultaneously with our own.

4. How are inter-dimensional isomorphisms relevant to our daily lives?

While inter-dimensional isomorphisms may seem abstract and theoretical, they have practical applications in fields such as physics, mathematics, and computer science. For example, they can help us better understand the nature of our universe and potentially lead to advancements in technology.

5. Can inter-dimensional isomorphisms be proven?

Inter-dimensional isomorphisms are based on mathematical theories and concepts, and as such, they cannot be proven in the traditional sense. However, they can be supported and validated through observations, experiments, and further research in relevant fields.