Kinematics ~ need some insight

In summary, the problem states that Alyssa passes by Aaron at a constant velocity of 80km/h. Aaron then accelerates at 10km/h/s after hesitating for 1 second. The goal is to determine where Aaron catches up with Alyssa. By setting the distances traveled by both individuals equal to each other, we can solve for the time it takes for Aaron to catch up to Alyssa. However, it is important to pay attention to the units and take into account the 1-second hesitation. After calculations, the time is found to be 14.8 seconds and the distance is 328.9 meters.
SwAnK
hey,

I was given a problem that states:

Alyssa passes by Aaron at a constant velocity of 80km/h. Aaron wanting to catch up to her hesitates for 1 second and then starts accelerating at 10km/h/s. Where does he catch up with alyssa?

OK what i have been thinking and trying out is that the time they meet will be the same right? like when you sub the numbers into an equation the time you get is the same for both? so then you can use that time and figure out the distance, since that's the same too. ALso, so when i get the time that's it right? i don't add the 1 second to it?? the time i got was 14.8 seconds and a distance of 328.9 meters. Did i do this right or am i way off??

thanx for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
The distance is the same but the time is not same.
Time taken by Aaron in moving the same distance is one second less then taken by Alyssa.
Pay attantion to the units!

D of the constant velocity person is = 80T
the accelerating person's D = .5A(T-1)^2

you can make those equal to each other and solve for T

Last edited:
Uhh, Moose, Distance= 80T

HallsofIvy said:
Uhh, Moose, Distance= 80T
:blushing: :redface:
oops :bugeye:
Changed it, thanks!

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion, without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. Why is kinematics important?

Kinematics is important because it helps us understand the motion of objects and how they move in relation to time, distance, and velocity. It is also the foundation for other branches of physics, such as dynamics and mechanics.

3. What are the three main quantities used in kinematics?

The three main quantities used in kinematics are displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Displacement is the change in position of an object, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

4. How is kinematics different from dynamics?

Kinematics deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion, while dynamics takes into account the forces that cause the motion. In other words, kinematics is concerned with the "what" of motion, while dynamics is concerned with the "why".

5. What are some real-life applications of kinematics?

Kinematics has many real-life applications, such as analyzing the motion of vehicles, studying the movement of athletes in sports, and predicting the flight paths of projectiles. It is also used in the design and optimization of machines, vehicles, and structures.