What are the three essential fatty acids found in flaxseed oil capsules?

In summary, the three essential fatty acids mentioned in the conversation are Omega-3, Omega-6, and Linoleic acid. However, there is some confusion regarding whether Omega-6 is the same as Linoleic acid or if it is a separate essential fatty acid. Some sources mention a third essential fatty acid, Arachidonic acid, while others only mention two. The textbook mentions linoleic and linolenic acid as essential fatty acids, and also mentions Omega-3 fatty acids as being protective against heart disease. The conversation concludes with the mention of a flaxseed oil capsule containing Alpha Linolenic Acid (Omega 3), Linoleic Acid (Omega 6), and Oleic Acid (Omega 9).
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have in my biology notes that the three essential fatty acids are:
Omega-3, Omega-6, and Linoleic acid
I'm confused because googling around I found several sources saying that Omega-6 IS Linoleic Acid. I have a bottle of flaxseed oil capsules and it says pretty much the same thing on the back. I thought maybe I should have actually written Linolenic Acid, but I believe that's actually the same thing as Omega-3 (Alpha-Linolenic Acid).
Can anyone clear up my confusion? Thanks!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
It's quite possible you've gotten the names written wrong because there is barely any difference in the spelling. Both linoleic and linolenic acid are considered essential fatty acids. Depending on where you read, some books say there are two essential fatty acids and some say three, and the cautious ones say there are "at least two." Arachidonic acid is the third.

I don't actually have any texts that refer to them as Omega-3 and Omega-6 (I checked 4 different textbooks to make sure I was giving you correct information...I don't think much about fatty acids on a daily basis), and I'm unfamiliar with that particular nomenclature, so can't help you sort out which is which any better than you can on your own (I'd just use Google for that too).

Thanks, Moonbear. I am going to poll some other students and see what they wrote down in their lecture notes. I've only asked one other person so far and she had written the same thing I had, so I will check around. I have a test tonight so it was sort of a last minute question. Kicking myself now because I totally forgot to ask my teacher about it last week. :mad:

I suppose it's also possible the teacher said it wrong given the similarity of the two words. It's an easy one to trip over. What does your textbook say on it?

Moonbear said:
I suppose it's also possible the teacher said it wrong given the similarity of the two words. It's an easy one to trip over.
or I had wax in my ears or something. :biggrin:
Moonbear said:
What does your textbook say on it?
The textbook doesn't really list it out:
Polyunsaturated oils are nutritionally essential because they are the only type of of fat that contains linoleic acid and linolenic acid, two fatty acids the body can't make. .. Since these fatty acids are supplied by the diet, they are the called essential fatty acids.
Olive oil and canola oil are known to contain a larger % of monounsaturated fatty acids than other types of cooking oils. Omega-3 fatty acids- with a double bond in the third position- are believed to be especially protective against heart disease...
Looking at the book makes me think the three are linoleic (aka Omega-6), linolenic, and and omega-3, but then again, omega-3 might just be another term for linolenic fatty acid, because I have found it called alpha-linolenic acid in my web searches.

anyway, it's not that big a deal, but I'll report back when I find out what the teacher meant.

hmm.. well, what I had written down was actually what she said. I asked her about it right before the test. But then she said, it wouldn't be on the exams, so I am going to quit worrying about it for now.
I am just about to pop a flaxseed capsule. The nutritional goodies it contains, according to the label, are Alpha Linolenic Acid (Omega 3), Linoleic Acid (Omega 6), and Oleic Acid (Omega 9).

1. What are essential fatty acids?

Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are a type of fat that our bodies cannot produce on their own and must be obtained through our diet. They play important roles in various bodily functions, such as cell membrane formation, hormone production, and inflammation regulation.

2. What are the three essential fatty acids?

The three essential fatty acids are alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), linoleic acid (LA), and linolenic acid (LNA). ALA is an omega-3 fatty acid, while LA and LNA are omega-6 fatty acids. These EFAs are crucial for maintaining a healthy diet and preventing certain health conditions.

3. What are the dietary sources of essential fatty acids?

The main dietary sources of EFAs are plant-based oils, such as flaxseed oil, canola oil, and soybean oil. Fish and seafood are also rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Nuts, seeds, and leafy green vegetables also contain EFAs, although in smaller amounts.

4. What are the health benefits of essential fatty acids?

EFAs have been linked to various health benefits, including reducing inflammation, improving heart health, and promoting brain function. They may also play a role in preventing chronic diseases, such as cancer and autoimmune disorders.

5. What happens if I don't get enough essential fatty acids?

If you do not consume enough essential fatty acids, you may experience symptoms such as dry skin, brittle hair and nails, fatigue, and poor wound healing. Long-term deficiency can also lead to more serious health problems, including cardiovascular disease and neurological disorders.