Converting Units for Thermal Conductivity: A Scientist's Guide

In summary, the thermal conductivity of refrigerant R-134a at 60.29degs C was found using Wolfram Alpha.
recreated
Dear reader,

I thought I was getting the hang of converting units but came across a thermal conductivity value and the unit was given in:
BTU/hr-ft-R :eek: I assume the 'R' means 'Rankine'.

I want to convert to the SI unit for Thermal Conductivity:
W/(m·K)

Any ideas? Or if you know where to find the Thermal Conductivity of refrigerant R-134a at 60.29degs C please let me know ;).

Thank you

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Excellent Thank you very much, have saved that Common conversion factors pdf as well.

Thermal Conductivity was the last piece to this small puzzle and couldn't do anything til I found that.

No worries - note: often all you need to do is google the units you want to convert ;)

cheers, I did google it but not in the format you type it and got bad results,, Good thing is I know to use that format you have used. Funny, what ever way i type it in Google now it knows what I mean :D

I copied and pasted your format into the searchbar - though google has learned the sorts of results I like so maybe that accounts for it. I often do that when I'm not sure what's intended.

The format in post #2 was copied and pasted from the Common Conversions PDF :)

@cpchristenson: welcome to PF.
Nice heads up and first post.

Question 1: What are the most commonly used units for conversion?

The most commonly used units for conversion include length (such as meters, feet, and inches), mass (such as kilograms, pounds, and ounces), volume (such as liters, gallons, and cubic feet), and temperature (such as Celsius and Fahrenheit).

Question 2: How do I convert between different units?

To convert between different units, you can use conversion factors or formulas specific to each type of unit. For example, to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit, you can use the formula (°C x 9/5) + 32 = °F. There are also many online conversion calculators and apps available for easy conversion.

Question 3: Can I convert between units of different measurement systems?

Yes, it is possible to convert between units of different measurement systems. However, it may require additional steps and calculations, as the conversion factors may not be as straightforward as converting between units within the same system.

Question 4: Is it important to use the correct conversion factor?

Yes, using the correct conversion factor is crucial for accurate and precise conversions. Using the wrong conversion factor can result in incorrect measurements and potentially affect the outcome of experiments or calculations.

Question 5: Are there any resources for unit conversion that you would recommend?

There are many reliable resources for unit conversion, including online calculators, conversion charts and tables, and conversion apps. It is important to ensure that the source of the conversion is reputable and uses accurate conversion factors.