When sum of remainders becomes divisible

• Thread starter Square1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of accumulating remainders from multiple purchases in order to eventually buy a more expensive item. The terminology of modular arithmetic is mentioned as a way to solve for the number of purchases needed. The relevance of this scenario in both mathematics and finance is also mentioned.
Square1
Hi. I need to sort out some concepts and terminology. I was wondering if there are algorithms and terminology surrounding the following situation.

Lets say I want to buy some object for an amount of money, but the object cost less than the amount of money I have. I will have a remainder of money. Let's say that this purchase on it's own is inefficient, but, once I make more money, keep coming back and buying the same object, eventually I will be able to buy a final object at just with the accumulated remainders of money. I simply delayed making an efficient use of my money till later.

I know that I need just solve for 'x' to find out how many purchases it takes to use the saved up money in:

x*remainder = object price

Then I can also find out how much non-remainder money I had to burn to begin with in order to get the "freebie".

Sooooo, my question is if anyone knows some terminology that explains this scenario or can name concepts in science or finance ...etc. that they see this analysis being used. I simply like putting words onto my math :)

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You didn't say whether or not you keep buying the object with the same amount (if you don't, the remainder will be different, so this needs clarification). I will assume you keep buying the object with the same payment for the sake of providing some sort of answer.

If c is the object cost, and p is your payment, then the remainder of this transaction can be expressed as: p mod c

So then, we want to know the number of times we need to accumulate remainders to pay for the object with collected remainders. Let this number be k.

Then,
k[p mod c] >= c

You used an equals sign, but note that k is a natural number. So, if you could pay for the item exactly from remainders, then c / [p mod c] has to be a natural number. That won't always be possible.

So basically, what I think the name / topic you are looking for is Modular Arithmetic

Likes 1 person
A couple of things.

1. Is the initial value the same as the person's salary? This will change the equations noted in the previous posts.

2. I claim there always is a solution. This depends on the treatment of p as a natural number. Certainly, $1.99 doesn't look like a natural number because of the decimal. But if you convert to cents it is just 199.

There are various strategies. In terms of number theory this can be solved as a simple Diophantine equation. The basis of this is modular arithmetic.

Another strategy is called linear programming. This would involve recursive equations.

I think this problem would be different depending on whether you are approaching it from a pure math background or a financial. If financial, I think there is a question about whether a remainder of a penny or a few cents is significant.

Likes 1 person
Thanks guys. It seems my question may have been a bit vague, but I DID get a good starting point in the replies for more investigation. Thanks all.

I can provide some insight into this scenario. The concept you are describing is known as "compound interest" in finance. It is a phenomenon where the interest earned on an initial investment is added to the principal, creating a larger base for future interest. In your scenario, the remainder of money can be seen as the interest earned on your initial purchase, and by continuously adding it to your principal, you are able to eventually purchase the final object.

In science, this concept can also be seen in processes that involve exponential growth, such as population growth or chemical reactions. The accumulated remainder of money can be seen as a catalyst that helps accelerate the process towards the final outcome.

In terms of terminology, you can refer to the remainder of money as a "residual" or "surplus" and the final object as the "target" or "goal". You can also use terms like "incremental" or "cumulative" to describe the process of continuously adding the remainder to the principal.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts and terminology surrounding your scenario. Keep exploring and putting words onto your math!

What does it mean when the sum of remainders becomes divisible?

When the sum of remainders becomes divisible, it means that when you divide a number by another number, the sum of the remainders of each division will be a whole number without any remaining decimals or fractions.

How can I determine when the sum of remainders becomes divisible?

You can determine when the sum of remainders becomes divisible by performing division calculations and adding up the remainders. If the final sum is a whole number, then the sum of remainders is divisible.

Why is it important to understand when the sum of remainders becomes divisible?

Understanding when the sum of remainders becomes divisible is important in various mathematical and scientific applications. It can help with simplifying complex equations, finding patterns, and making predictions.

Can the sum of remainders ever be divisible if the individual remainders are not?

Yes, the sum of remainders can be divisible even if the individual remainders are not. This is because the remainders can cancel each other out when added together, resulting in a whole number as the final sum.

Can the sum of remainders becoming divisible apply to numbers other than integers?

Yes, the concept of the sum of remainders becoming divisible can apply to numbers other than integers, such as fractions and decimals. As long as the remainders can be added together to form a whole number, the sum of remainders becomes divisible.