Find Commutation Relation for [x_i, p_i^n p_j^m p_k^l] - Help Appreciated

In summary, the commutation relation for [x_i, p_i ^n p_j^m p_k^l] can be found by expanding [x_i, p_i^n] using the relationship [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B. This leads to the general form of [x_i, p_i^n] = ni \hbar p_i^{n-1}.
indigojoker
i need to find the commutation relation for:

[tex] [x_i , p_i ^n p_j^m p_k^l] [/tex]

I could apply a test function g(x,y,z) to this and get:

[tex]=x_i p_i ^n p_j^m p_k^l g - p_i ^n p_j^m p_k^l x_i g [/tex]

but from here I'm not sure where to go. any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need a test function. All you need are the following:

(i) [itex] [x_i,p_j] = i \hbar \delta_{i,j} [/itex]
(ii) [itex] [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B [/itex]

Last edited:
should that be [itex] [x_i,p_j] = i \hbar \delta_{i,j} [/itex]?

i guess a more reasonable question would i expand [itex][x_i,p_i^n][/itex]

If you use the second relationship in post #2 recursively, you will discover a general form for the commutator [itex][x_i,p_i^n] [/itex].
Try p^2 and p^3 first - you'll see what I mean.

PS: Yes, there was a "bad" minus sign which I've now fixed.

how about: [itex][x_i,p_i^n]=ni \hbar p_i ^{n-1} [/itex]

Looks good. Now you're just a step or two away from the answer to the original question.

1. What is a commutation relation?

A commutation relation is a mathematical relationship between operators that represent physical observables in quantum mechanics. It describes how these operators behave when they are applied to a quantum state, and how they interact with each other.

2. What is the significance of finding a commutation relation?

Finding a commutation relation allows us to better understand the behavior of physical systems at the quantum level. It helps us to make predictions about the outcomes of measurements and to understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

3. How do you find a commutation relation?

A commutation relation can be found by applying the commutator operation, denoted by [A, B], to two operators A and B. The resulting commutator is equal to the operators' product, AB, minus the product of their anticommutators, BA.

4. What is the specific commutation relation for [x_i, p_i^n p_j^m p_k^l]?

The specific commutation relation for [x_i, p_i^n p_j^m p_k^l] is [x_i, p_i^n p_j^m p_k^l] = iħ(nδ_ij p_j^(n-1) + mδ_ik p_k^(m-1) + lδ_ijδ_ik p_i^(n+m+l-1)), where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant and δ_ij and δ_ik are Kronecker delta functions.

5. Why is help appreciated in finding a commutation relation for [x_i, p_i^n p_j^m p_k^l]?

Finding a commutation relation for a complex expression like [x_i, p_i^n p_j^m p_k^l] can be challenging and time-consuming, even for experienced scientists. Having help and collaboration from others can provide new insights and perspectives, leading to a more accurate and efficient solution.