GRE Quetion (QM, Electric Transition)

In summary, the conversation discusses three situations in which the wave functions of two stationary states of a particle in a spherically symmetric potential will be orthogonal. These situations involve the states having different energies, different total orbital angular momenta, or the same total orbital angular momentum but different Lz values. The use of the selection rule for electric transition is suggested, but ultimately it is stated that all of these conditions are eigenstates and therefore orthogonal, with the possibility of transitions occurring if the states are perturbed.
HungryChemist

Homework Statement

X and Y are two stationary states of a particle in a spherically symmetric potential. In which of the following situations will the wave functions of the two states be orthogonal?
I X and Y correspond to different energies.
II X and Y correspond to different total orbital angular momenta L
III X and Y correspond to the same L but different Lz.

Homework Equations

Selection Rule for Electric Transition?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is GRE type question. I tried attacking this problem by invoking the selection rule for electric transition. I am going to say two state being orthogonal means the situation never occur. So, out of three situations stated above, which one of them has probability of zero occurring? First choice seems to occur frequently, so can't be orthogonal. Second is also not orthogonal. But the last situation, I am not sure. Can anybody help? In fact, if anybody has good web sources that treats electron transition rule in hydrogen atom (not hyperphysics) please, share the link with me. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are thinking like a chemist, bless your heart. But all of these conditions are eigenstates corresponding to different eigenvalues of a hermitian operator. They are all orthogonal. And transitions between any of these states can occur. If they are perturbed. If not, then not.

1. What is the purpose of GRE Question (QM, Electric Transition)?

The purpose of GRE Question (QM, Electric Transition) is to assess a student's understanding of quantum mechanics and electric transitions. It tests their knowledge of the fundamental principles and concepts in these areas.

2. Can you explain the concept of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. It explains how particles such as electrons and photons behave and interact with each other. It is a fundamental theory that has revolutionized our understanding of the physical world.

3. What are electric transitions in quantum mechanics?

Electric transitions refer to the movement of an electron from one energy level to another in an atom or molecule. This process can occur when the electron absorbs or emits energy in the form of photons. Electric transitions are important in understanding the behavior of matter and light.

4. What types of questions can I expect in GRE Question (QM, Electric Transition)?

In GRE Question (QM, Electric Transition), you can expect questions that test your knowledge of concepts such as wave-particle duality, quantization of energy, and atomic and molecular structure. You may also be asked to apply these concepts to solve problems and analyze data.

5. How can I prepare for GRE Question (QM, Electric Transition)?

To prepare for GRE Question (QM, Electric Transition), it is important to review and understand the fundamental concepts of quantum mechanics and electric transitions. You can also practice solving problems and analyzing data related to these topics. Additionally, there are study guides and practice tests available that can help you prepare for the GRE.