Simple Harmonic Motion of springs

In summary, the conversation was about solving a problem involving simple harmonic motion. The problem involved a mass on a frictionless surface connected to two springs with Hooke's law and asked for the net force and equation of motion for small displacements. The net force was found to be equal to -2ky and the equation of motion was given as -omega squared times y. The period was then calculated to be pi times the square root of the mass divided by the spring constant.
aurora14421
[SOLVED] Simple Harmonic Motion

Homework Statement

A mass rests on a frictionless horizontal table and is connected to rigid supports via 2 identical springs (which obey Hooke's law). Each spring is stretched to a length (l) considerably greater than its rest length. At rest, the mass is located at the origin.

What is the magnitude and direction of the net force exerted by the springs on the mass when it is displaced in a perpendicular direction to the springs (i.e. along the y axis) for the special case of a small displacement.

Hence, write down the equation of motion governing small oscillations in the y direction and give the period (using small angle approximation for sin theta).

Homework Equations

(y/l)<<1

Hooke's law: F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so suppose we displace the mass a small distance [itex]\delta y[/itex] as the question said, can you write down a vector equation representing the resultant force expericend by the mass?

I have sketched a diagram, I can write thy equation, but still stucked..

captain.joco said:
I have sketched a diagram, I can write thy equation, but still stucked..
I'm assuming you two are in the same class, not the same person with schizophrenia...

It might be helpful if you posted the equations you've got...

the x components are equal, thy will cancel out, so we're left only with the y components.
I've got for one spring only ( Since y/l << 1, ):

F-k*y*cos(thetha) I might be terribly wrong though

I don't know thy other person, this is just a problem similar to mine..

I think the force is given by:

[tex]F=-k(l-l_{0}) sin \Theta[/tex]

where [tex]sin \Theta= \frac{y}{l}[/tex]

Is that right?

Sorry, forgot to say F is the vertical component of the force.

captain.joco said:
the x components are equal, thy will cancel out, so we're left only with the y components.
I've got for one spring only ( Since y/l << 1, ):

F-k*y*cos(thetha) I might be terribly wrong though

I don't know thy other person, this is just a problem similar to mine..
I'm assuming you mean F = kycos(theta) and the angle your taking is that between the y-axis and the spring. If that is the case, then your solution is correct, the net force would be the sum of the two springs thus; F = 2kycos(theta)

However, the question drops the hint that you should use the small angle approximation for sin theta; which leads me to believe you should define theta to be the angle between the spring and the x-axis.

aurora14421 said:
I think the force is given by:

[tex]F=-k(l-l_{0}) sin \Theta[/tex]

where [tex]sin \Theta= \frac{y}{l}[/tex]

Is that right?
This is correct, but be careful with your notation, the question states that l is the natural length of the spring so you should consider changing your equation to something like;

[tex]F=-k(l-l') \sin \theta[/tex]

You can now apply the small angle approximation ([itex]\sin\theta \approx \theta[/itex]) to your equation.

Yeah, I have used the angle between the y-axis and the spring.

Using sin...
If I use approximation saying that for very small displacements, l will remain the same, the force ( y component ) will probably be
F = - k*l*sin(theta ).
can I do this?

And for the last part of the question about the period of oscillation.. I have w = 2pi / T hence T= 2pi/w, but what does it mean in the y direction, can you please clarify

From aurora's post you can see that;

[tex]\sin\theta = \frac{y}{l'}[/tex]

Where l' is the extended length. And given the small angle approximation we can say that;

[tex]\sin\theta \approx \theta \Rightarrow \sin\theta \approx \frac{y}{l'}[/tex]

Alright, I get it now! I got confused with notation a bit, but thanks. Do you have any hint about the period?

Well, the period depends on the spring constant and the mass and the spring constant is the constant of proportionality in Hooke's law. So in our equation;

[tex]F = -2kl'\sin\theta = -2kl'\frac{y}{l'} = -2ky[/tex]

So if we now say that [itex]F\propto -y[/itex], what would be the constant of proportionality?

Ok, so just to make sure I understand, the magnitude of the net force is:

[tex]F=-k(l-l\prime)\frac{y}{l} [/tex]

Or does it get multiplied by two since there are 2 springs?

The direction of the force is downwards.

The equation of motion is just the net force divided by the mass of the object attached to the spring and this will be equal to [tex]-\omega^2 y[/tex] .

Never mind, your previous post just answered me I think. I'm to slow...

well, i think 2k ?

I know that w = ( k/m )^1/2

aurora14421 said:

The equation of motion is just the net force divided by the mass of the object attached to the spring and this will be equal to [tex]-\omega^2 y[/tex] .

Never mind, your previous post just answered me I think. I'm to slow...

What happened with the "2" in F = -2ky ? I think it should be included in the equation of motion somehow, and that's the trick with the period..

aurora14421 said:

That's the vertical force from a single spring, it is multiplied by 2 to account for the second spring.
aurora14421 said:
Correct
captain.joco said:
well, i think 2k ?

I know that w = ( k/m )^1/2
Yes, the new spring constant is twice that of the original.

If I am right, the period T = pi*m/k ?

captain.joco said:
If I am right, the period T = pi*m/k ?
Where's your square root disappeared to? And your factor of 2?

Oh, sorry, too hasty...

T ={ (2)^1/2 * Pi } / w or T = Pi * ( 2k/m )^1/2

captain.joco said:
Oh, sorry, too hasty...

T ={ (2)^1/2 * Pi } / w or T = Pi * ( 2k/m )^1/2
Noope, try again, your fraction is upside down, I'm sure there's a [itex]2/pi[/itex] in there somewhere as well...

maybe I start from the wrong thing.. I start from :

( 2k/m )^1/2 = 2Pi/T from there I got the thing written above

captain.joco said:
maybe I start from the wrong thing.. I start from :

( 2k/m )^1/2 = 2Pi/T from there I got the thing written above
This is correct, your algebra must be tripping you up;

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2k}{m}} = \frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{T}{2\pi} = \sqrt{\frac{m}{2k}}[/tex]

[tex]\boxed{T = 2\pi\sqrt{\frac{m}{2k}}}[/tex]

I checked, my working is correct, just multiply my equation by 2, you get the same answer. Algebra is all i have..

Thanks for everything!

Yeah, thanks for your help. I'm pretty sure I understand everything now.

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) of springs?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) of springs is a type of periodic motion in which a mass attached to a spring oscillates back and forth in a straight line. The motion is characterized by its frequency, amplitude, and period, and can be described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement.

2. What factors affect the period of a spring's SHM?

The period of a spring's SHM is affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring, the spring constant (k), and the amplitude of the oscillation. The period is also independent of the mass of the object and is only affected by the spring's properties and the initial conditions.

3. How is the amplitude of a spring's SHM related to its energy?

The amplitude of a spring's SHM is directly proportional to its total energy. This means that as the amplitude increases, so does the energy of the system. This can be seen in the formula for the total energy of a spring-mass system, which includes the term for the amplitude.

4. Can the period of a spring's SHM be changed?

Yes, the period of a spring's SHM can be changed by altering the properties of the spring, such as its spring constant, or by changing the mass attached to the spring. The period can also be changed by changing the initial conditions, such as the amplitude or the starting position of the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion of springs?

Some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion of springs include a pendulum, a mass attached to a spring bouncing up and down, and a diving board. Other examples include the motion of a tuning fork, a guitar string, and a swing. Many mechanical systems, such as car suspensions and shock absorbers, also use springs to create SHM.